+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chord DAC QBD 76 - Any good?

I'm Andrew.

Default Chord DAC QBD 76 - Any good?

Might be buying one, anyone had any experience?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Phil.

they were all the rage before the dave !!! you still see the old chord dac64 for sale at reasonable prices so well worth a punt
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Neil.

As with any bespoke DACs the house sound it is somewhat subjective. If detail and micro-dynamics are your thing then Chord DACs are just the ticket. The multibit / NOS DAC crew may not agree though. I think Chord is massively overpriced, but second hand and how fast Chord release new models help make their older DACs better value.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    they were all the rage before the dave !!! you still see the old chord dac64 for sale at reasonable prices so well worth a punt
    I'm more of a vinyl nut but need somethings better than a Caiman SEG! DAVE is out of my price range for what I'm prepared to pay for digital replay.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    As with any bespoke DACs the house sound it is somewhat subjective. If detail and micro-dynamics are your thing then Chord DACs are just the ticket. The multibit / NOS DAC crew may not agree though. I think Chord is massively overpriced, but second hand and how fast Chord release new models help make their older DACs better value.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Bang on! That's why I decided that a Chord might be a worthwhile punt.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Simon.

There's an Arcam D33 in the classifieds going at a bargain price (1/4 of the original!), might be worth a look at.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Totally agree. I had the DAC64 (mkII IIRC) around the same time I was running Whest phono stages, when I believed that detail was what it was all about. (We are talking 6-7-8 years ago). If that's your thing then great, but my Longdog phono stage cast away any thoughts about the Whest approach, and various Audio Note DACs leading up to my current one did the same on the digital side.

As for the Chord I think lots of modern DACs probably do much the same thing electronically and functionally for a lot less dosh, but it is a very impressive slab of machined aluminium ....

I'm Steve.

I have recently parted with my QBD along with all my other separates and the QBD is the one I miss the most. For me, it made the biggest improvement to my system and was the sole reason for keeping the system together as long as I did.
    Mine was used for CD, Bluetooth phone, tidal laptop and digital TV and it sounded fab for all of these connections. Max buffer (except for TV obviously) and it always brought a smile. If you can pick one up for £1500 or less then I say it's a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Simon.

I yhink you might find it a bit too direct and relentless on long term listening.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm James.

To be honest Andy I would go for a Hugo 2 and if you are financially able - DAVE. I listen to this DAC regularly and as i know your a vinyl analog man at heart this is the only DAC I have ever heard that gets near to great analog. Hugo2 will give you 75% of DAVE, the QBD 76 won't.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

All good comments so far. Hugo2 could be an option. DAVE isn't an option as I only have 100+ CD's!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast