+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gardening thread.....

I'm Mike.

We've brought the numbers down a bit this year. For the last couple of years we've had 400+ onions but we simply can't get them to store long enough to use them all. They're the one thing that the pigs don't eat too!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    That all looks very professional and those onions outnumber mine by about 10 x
    So does the size of the garden by the look of things - easily outsizes mine by 10x.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

I grow a few veggies, just for fun really. The onions usually do well as do the runner beans but last year and this, everything else has failed to grow. Earlier, I planted spring onions, carrots and brussels but none grew, I guess because it has been so dry.

I'm Grant.

a list of products and water required to grow a lb of finished produce

Lettuce -- 15 gallons;
    Tomatoes -- 22 gallons;
    Cabbage -- 24 gallons;
    Cucumber -- 28 gallons;
    Potatoes -- 30 gallons;
    Oranges -- 55 gallons;
    Apples -- 83 gallons;
    Bananas -- 102 gallons;
    Corn -- 107 gallons;
    Peaches or Nectarines -- 142 gallons;
    Wheat Bread -- 154 gallons;
    Mango -- 190 gallons;
    Avocado -- 220 gallons;
    Tofu -- 244 gallons;
    Groundnuts -- 368 gallons;
    Rice -- 403 gallons;
    Olives -- 522 gallons;
    Chocolate -- 2847 gallons;

as you see they need a lot of the clear stuff
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    That all looks very professional and those onions outnumber mine by about 10 x
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a list of products and water required to grow a lb of finished produce

Lettuce -- 15 gallons;
    Tomatoes -- 22 gallons;
    Cabbage -- 24 gallons;
    Cucumber -- 28 gallons;
    Potatoes -- 30 gallons;
    Oranges -- 55 gallons;
    Apples -- 83 gallons;
    Bananas -- 102 gallons;
    Corn -- 107 gallons;
    Peaches or Nectarines -- 142 gallons;
    Wheat Bread -- 154 gallons;
    Mango -- 190 gallons;
    Avocado -- 220 gallons;
    Tofu -- 244 gallons;
    Groundnuts -- 368 gallons;
    Rice -- 403 gallons;
    Olives -- 522 gallons;
    Chocolate -- 2847 gallons;

as you see they need a lot of the clear stuff
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

My "Garden" is about two acres. There is half an acre of woodland, which is time consuming to keep clean.
    The other acre and a half is grass, so takes a while to cut.

I wish I had time to sort out a vegetable plot, but there does not seem to be any left during the day.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

onions.... Water if the weather is dry and give an occasional feed with a general liquid fertiliser. A light feed of sulphate of potash in June will help ripen the bulbs ready for storage.

Mulching the soil will help conserve soil moisture and keep down weeds. Stop watering and feeding once the onions have swollen, and remove any mulch or soil to expose the bulb to the sun.

Remove any flower spikes as soon as you see them.

Onions can be harvested when the foliage turns yellow and starts to topple over. Although it is sometimes suggested to bend over the foliage or gently lift the bulbs to break the roots, this is no longer recommended.

Leave for two to three weeks and then carefully lift with a garden fork. Onions for storage must be firm, disease-free and then dried for two to three weeks, either laid out in the sun or in a shed if the weather is wet
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

You certainly know your onions Grant

I'm Phil.

I have spent last 2-3 days cutting down huge amounts of VERY prickly bushes and various laurel bushes . in preparation for a 14 bay 7th high fence being started toommorrow . pretty scratched but that's the price of being secure . will have to get quite a few packets of spikes to go on top of fence . its not too bad an area but its next to a footpath . also next to some lovely oak trees which will look a picture in autumn
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Adam.

I entered the West Lothian Council Garden competition this year.

I have entered it in the past and done quite well, but stayed away from it for a few years due to mental health problems and a lack of interest in gardening.

However, this year I decided to go for it because I was feeling better.

Anyway, this week was judging week and the judges came around this morning (I am on holiday at the moment).

They didn't stay long because it was pouring down with rain. It rained virtually all weekend as well, so I have not had much time to give it a final tidy up. Mind you, everyone is going to be in the same position with regards to the weather!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast