+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home networking

I'm Kevin.

Default Home networking

I am looking to improve my home network to remove a WiFi dead zone.
    Basically I have the internet provider supplied modem, with built in Wifi5.
    This feed a Powerline adaptor with a wireless access point that goes to the bedroom/office area of the house. All works fine here.

Attached to the modem/router is a network cable that feeds the man cave, into a network switch, which feeds my devices with other network cables, and another wireless access point. All works fine except the guest bedroom, which is upstairs. This is not far from the modem with a built in router, but there is a relatively thick wall between the two.

So, I am thinking of either investing is a WiFi nest system (3 nodes) to remove the power line adapters, or to simply add a WiFi 6 router to my modem, and turn the WiFi 5 transmission off, which seems cheaper, and easier.

Does anybody have any idea about what would be the best solution?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mike.

Default Home networking

My daughters house had terrible Wi-Fi access on the ground floor, the router was 1 level up and pretty central, 150mbps connection at router but getting less than 10 in a couple of rooms downstairs, so I bought her these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-AI-.../dp/B0B8F146PQ

Made a huge difference, no dropouts and now getting over 100gb in each of those rooms now. They’ve been up and running since the end of April this year. Now that I’ve said that I bet they hiccup now lol.

You can buy as many as you need.

I'm Kevin.

Thanks Mike.
    I am currently looking at the Deco units, so the recommendation helps.
    Kevin

I'm Mike.

I was dubious of spending that much on them but now that they've been using them for 6 months and the 'helpline' hasn't been needed is good enough for me.

Simple enough to setup too, although their Virgin Media router didn't want to play ball initially but a couple of reboots and it was sorted.

3 units was perhaps overkill for their house, but grandsons bedroom seems to be in a real weak spot for WiFi and he's a keen online gamer so one went in his room and another is his mum and dads room with one as the base unit next to the router upstairs.

Rock solid WiFi now.

Virgin Routers are notoriously crap so setting that up as a modem and a different router might have achieved a decent result but I went for the Deco units instead to save faffing about too much.

I'm Kevin.

I think I have sorted it, without spending any money.
    I have repositioned the WAPs and I seem to have good coverage in the entire house now.
    I have also turned the WiFi on the ISP provided box off, so now have a “pure” WiFi 6 and Ethernet network.
    Kevin

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Thanks Mike.
    I am currently looking at the Deco units, so the recommendation helps.

I see the OP is sorted now but another vote for the Deco units. Unobtrusive, effective and easy to set up.
    Separates Systems:

(1) Antipodes CX and EX, Matrix Audio X-Saber DSD, Meridian DSP7000 active speakers;
    (2) Lumin D2, Cary CD-308 cdp, Quad 99 power amp, Horns 5degreeN*27 speakers;
    (3) Homebrew PC with Onkyo Wavio SE200 soundcard running Daphile, Quad 44 and 405.2 into Dali Zensor 1s;
    (4) Sooloos C15 plus storage, Braun A2, P1, CD3, C1 and T1 into Sonus Faber Concertos.

Integrated Home System:

Sony PS-X600, Naimnet NNT01 DAB Tuner; NS02 Server; NNP01/NNP02 room amplifiers; Netstreams switches, keypads, KEF Ci130QS/Soundlight speakers.

+ Reply to Thread