+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XLR balanced interconnects vs RCA/Phono

I'm Andrew.

Default XLR balanced interconnects vs RCA/Phono

So now I have a source with XLR outputs ( E sounds CD-5 signature edition) and my amp (Teac Distinction Ai3000) has XLR inputs should I go for it and buy some ? Bearing in mind I've just bought new Mark grant rca's to rca's !!
    Is it just marketing bollocks like some say ?

BTW I've no idea what the balanced means anyway!!

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrlb View Post
    So now I have a source with XLR outputs ( E sounds CD-5 signature edition) and my amp (Teac Distinction Ai3000) has XLR inputs should I go for it and buy some ? Bearing in mind I've just bought new Mark grant rca's to rca's !!
    Is it just marketing bollocks like some say ?

BTW I've no idea what the balanced means anyway!!

Balanced cables are only really relevant in prof. audio on long
    microphone cables to avoid rf interference.

Not really relevant with home audio.

Another case of the Manufacturers of home audio kit jumping
    on the prof. audio way of doing things to sell their kit...

I'm Neil.

Yep, go for it. RCA cables have more of a sound signature whereas XLR cables are transparent. I think this is because of a dedicated ground wire, which is impossible with RCA as you need ground and return to be connected.

If your source and amp are balanced, then even better, because you will be making the most of the circuitry and it will only make things better through noise cancellation rather than making things worse.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    Balanced cables are only really relevant in prof. audio on long
    microphone cables to avoid rf interference.

Not really relevant with home audio.

Another case of the Manufacturers of home audio kit jumping
    on the prof. audio way of doing things to sell their kit...
    If the kit is fully balanced, then IMO it sounds better when used in balanced mode, regardless of single ended vs. balanced arguments.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrew.

Hmmm ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

Try for yourself, this is all the XLR cable you'd ever need: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-...-/282215887582 (you'd need to buy 2x, but under £30).

Mark Grant does a Canare XLR cable too albeit more expensive.

I'm Andrew.

Cheers Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Yep, go for it. RCA cables have more of a sound signature whereas XLR cables are transparent. I think this is because of a dedicated ground wire, which is impossible with RCA as you need ground and return to be connected.

If your source and amp are balanced, then even better, because you will be making the most of the circuitry and it will only make things better through noise cancellation rather than making things worse.
    Agreed - it's the arrangement I use in my system: CD -> preamp -> monoblock power amps
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

The advantages of balanced are more hum elimination than RF problems, and in professional setups where frequent plugging and unplugging occur because of different implementations, reliable no hum is a great time and work saver.

Strictly, balanced circuits have about twice the distortion of SE ccts, but nowadays is so low that IMO it can be ignored.

I have had three pairs of ATC actives with balanced I/Ps, fed from SE preamps with no problems, and am currently using my balanced ADAM Gamma actives which are balanced I/Ps with an ATC SCA2 preamp which is also balanced.

All work smoothly and the currents into amps are so small that fine mic. cable is more than adequate, no need for hefty.

The (what I believe to be) best S/S pre available, the Benchmark, is all balanced, incredible spec, and sound.

I'm Mike.

Direct comparison from Rega Isis to Pass Labs Pre Amp

RCA-RCA good

XLR-XLR better. Nice step up
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast