+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Radford STA100 Restoration Blog

I'm John.

Will, at the risk of getting pelted with tomatoes by the traditionalists , could this amp support the use of KT120 or KT150 valves instead of the KT88s? They are generally regarded as superior and I'm sure would bring an improvement. Is this something you would consider fitting?

I'm Justin.

Post #4 appears to show a NOS Genelex Gold Lion KT88. A NOS pair is about $1200, a quad double that so be careful!!!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Post #4 appears to show a NOS Genelex Gold Lion KT88. A NOS pair is about $1200, a quad double that so be careful!!!
    Thanks for the headsup

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Will, at the risk of getting pelted with tomatoes by the traditionalists , could this amp support the use of KT120 or KT150 valves instead of the KT88s? They are generally regarded as superior and I'm sure would bring an improvement. Is this something you would consider fitting?
    I'm not sure if the heater windings are rated enough to support the extra current demanded by these valves. Having the specs for the transformers, this could be calculated, so it MIGHT be ok, but I wouldn't like to just stick them in and find out. There is generally a bit of headroom designed in when a transformer is specified, but this doesn't seem good practise to depend upon this. As far as I'm aware, apart from that issue they would otherwise work.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Alex.

A++++++++++++++++++
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234