+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speaker placement & wall brackets

I'm Tony.

Default Speaker placement & wall brackets

I recently inherited a pair of AE1s. Even to my ears, they sound much better than what I had before.

But they seem to sound better still when placed with a wall close behind them (which is where my father - who had reasonable hifi knowledge - had put them).

My problem is that, due to room layout, placing them with a wall close behind means that they'll be rather close to our multi-burner stove that produces a lot of heat - i.e. on the face of the chimney breast. The best option I have is to put them at the front of an alcove (either side of the chimney breast), but the wall, which is mainly window anyway, is then about a metre away.

So, the question.

I'm going to make the wall brackets to hold them. If I make the brackets with a back to mimic placing them against a wall, will I get a similar effect?

The brackets themselves will be made out of whatever wood I choose, so will be heavy, and I could use a dense wood for the backs rather than anything thin or flimsy.

Thoughts??

I'm Martin.

You'll get the same boost in the bass from the wall regardless of whether it is stand or a bracket. Only the distance from the wall matters.

Having chimney breast in between isn't ideal, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You'll get the same boost in the bass from the wall regardless of whether it is stand or a bracket. Only the distance from the wall matters.

Having chimney breast in between isn't ideal, though.
    Stand or bracket isn't the choice, nor the question really.

The question is whether adding a (wooden) back to a wall bracket would give a similar effect as placing the speaker against a (brick) wall. Obviously not the *same* effect, but an improvement on no back to the bracket?

Removing the chimney breast isn't really an option either I'm trying to get the best outcome within the constraints I've got!

I'm Martin.

I see. The answer is no. It won't have no effect at all but it won't replicate a room boundary. I've tried it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

You need surface area behind the speaker to reflect rear radiated sound fully, a 2' square piece of wood will not be enough, you need to prevent air going behind the speaker, thus adding to forward energy.

+ Reply to Thread