+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone near London NW3 willing to collect parcel and post on to me?

I'm Jez.

Default Anyone near London NW3 willing to collect parcel and post on to me?

I've won a nice Marconi Instruments signal generator on the bay but hadn't realised until afterwards that it was "collect in person only" No wonder I got it so cheap!

I've tried asking the seller if he will post it anyway and he's umming and ahhing about but hasn't said point blank no... or a definite yes.... I am also a bit worried that if he does say yes to posting it then it will be his choice of courier and for something this heavy I guess a budget courier, 2nd class etc may be only £20 or so... but if he goes for Parcelforce or similar then it could be £50+ for carriage...that's too rich for me but I would be in no position to argue...

The instrument is heavy at 40 lbs and of course being valved is pretty fragile. It will be about the same size as a box of wine I believe.

So.... is there anyone close by to NW3 (Camden Town, Belsize Park area I believe) who would be willing to collect it on my behalf and pack it well in readiness for a courier I would book from this end to collect it?
    It's "a big ask" as I know from personal experience of packing heavy amplifiers etc that both finding suitable packing materials and then doing the actual packing to a decent standard could take an hour or mores effort!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quick bump back to "whats new"

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

I might be able to get you a heavily discounted rail ticket to London if you want to collect yourself?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I might be able to get you a heavily discounted rail ticket to London if you want to collect yourself?

Thanks for the offer Oliver but I won the item for £7! (expecting it to go for around £70 but my max bid was £26. I was stunned when I got it for £7!
    ).... Postage could be as little as £20 but it's the getting it from the seller and packing it up for collection by my courier that's the issue

Having lived in London I know how difficult even a 5 mile trip to collect it is so I know it's a big ask.... The seller may yet agree to pack it etc but I reckon he was expecting it to go for at least £70 as well...

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Thanks for the offer Oliver but I won the item for £7! (expecting it to go for around £70 but my max bid was £26. I was stunned when I got it for £7!
    ).... Postage could be as little as £20 but it's the getting it from the seller and packing it up for collection by my courier that's the issue

Having lived in London I know how difficult even a 5 mile trip to collect it is so I know it's a big ask.... The seller may yet agree to pack it etc but I reckon he was expecting it to go for at least £70 as well...
    Ah, he may pull out of the deal then. Cheeky chap. Jamie uses a fella to collect and deliver his gear. Maybe he's worth a punt?

I'm Kevin.

I am going that way in 2 weeks time and have family visiting the following weekend. They could take it up to Morpeth if you can collect it from there - any use?

I'm Edward.

sure. I live nearby. I can pick up tomorrow.

PM me.

I will be travelling via car to Sheffield last weekend this month so if you can make it there we can skip the courier.

Edward
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    sure. I live nearby. I can pick up tomorrow.

PM me.

I will be travelling via car to Sheffield last weekend this month so if you can make it there we can skip the courier.

Edward
    Thanks for the offers guys! I knew AOS would come up trumps on this

Delivery to Morpeth would be well handy but I'll go for Edwards offer as he can pick up soon and is close by to seller. My motorbike is of the road to pick it up in Sheffield and I'm way up north (200 miles north of Sheffield approx) so even the petrol to Sheffield and back would be more than the courier! So, if you could collect from NW3 and pack it to survive it's journey by UPS "white van man", and I have it collected from you by a courier I book, then that would be great thanks.
    Will check with seller and PM tomorrow/as soon as I hear back from him then Edward

I'm Simon.

I'll bring it from Sheffield Jez. No worries, I need to drop a pair amps off for a customer in South Shields and iwas coming over to yours to drop my power amp in anyway.

Edward drop me a pm, I'm in S11 Sheffield.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

People power!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast