+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Best Ready Meals

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    my old mate loved working and especially the job he had most of his life. didnt want to retire but was forced to. became depressed not working and tried other jobs but hankered for his old one, then his brain went; stroke or something like that. then had a growth appear and soon never knew anyone. died a few months later. all very upsetting. we all felt if he had stayed in his job he would have lived longer. some folk dont like having a lot of spare time you see. I can understand it, as I dont like too much myself. But he was different and actually lived for his job. A lot of old folk did. he never smiled after he retired
    Fair enough, mate. That's a valid instance of someone who was *genuinely* happy with his 'lot' in life, which revolved around his job. It's often not like that, though.

My dad gave up running his fish & chip business as soon as he'd amassed enough cash to see him (and my mum) out of this world, which was when he was just over 60, and didn't regret it one iota, because then they could enjoy life together, going out for lunch most days, long walks in the country, holidays abroad and spending time in their garden.

The very LAST thing in his mind was standing behind a counter serving the general public, from 4pm to midnight, six days a week [much as he 'enjoyed' it when he had to]!

I managed to 'retire' much earlier, largely through some clever investments, and I've never been happier, getting up in the morning and only doing what *I* feel like doing, not what someone else forces me to. Fortunately though, I've got umpteen different interests to keep me occupied, so I almost never get bored

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Yup each to their own i guess...id rather have your life than his, and in reality im probably in between. I enjoyed my job and didnt like having to stop, but i found there was more to life, for me than working.

He didnt tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

The other thing is, if they're married or have a partner, how do all these folk who love working 24/7 have time to enjoy their relationship?

I love spending time with Del, and miss her even when she's gone to lunch for a few hours with some friends, never mind anything else! My mum and dad were the same: very close.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

ditto.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

So these folk who love working all the time must be:

a) single.

b) not very close to their partners.

c) in an unhappy marriage/relationship, seeking some form of escape.

If none of the above apply to someone you know who's obsessed with work, then perhaps you could explain to me how they can hold down a meaningful relationship?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

dont think they all work 7 days a week.lol most probably did a 5 day week and a saturday morning.(some switching wed for sat) that was the usual hrs for many. sat pm in pub, sun morn in church and pm in garden
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I've known a few career obsessed 'high fliers', women as well as men, who have similar minded partners, each working maybe up to twelve hours a day. Any children have a carer for the day and the couples see each other for perhaps an hour or two daily apart from time in bed. Not a lifestyle I'd opt for, no matter how rewarding financially.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Known a few that just wanted to be away from wife
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robin.

Interestingly I am looking to retire in the very near future, working for 40 years is enough. My job is ok and reasonably well paid but I am not enjoying the changes that are happening around me. I think I have enough interests to keep me busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast