+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Audio Technica AT33PTG/II

I'm Ken.

Thanks for those Mel.

I'm Mike.

The Vivant was so close to matching it's performance. That's when Alan went home and added the things he had learned from the bake off and improved the Vivant.
    That sounds interesting 😁

Bigman80 Guest

Yes, mikeyb. The improvement came by way of diagnosing the "Miller effect" and then curing it.

Explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_effect

It has resulted in better focus and releasing the treble to float around delicately.

I don't understand all of the technical jargon but whatever Alan did, its worked. The improvements are more like fine tuning a precision instrument rather than overhauling the whole thing.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Yes, mikeyb. The improvement came by way of diagnosing the "Miller effect" and then curing it.

Explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_effect

It has resulted in better focus and releasing the treble to float around delicately.

I don't understand all of the technical jargon but whatever Alan did, its worked. The improvements are more like fine tuning a precision instrument rather than overhauling the whole thing.
    Thanks, I think a PM might be winging it's way to Firebottle towers shortly. 😁

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Thanks, I think a PM might be winging it's way to Firebottle towers shortly. ��
    I don't blame you mate. Staggeringly good.

Plus, It would work very well the AT cart the OP mentioned.

I should also mention that the Nick Gorhams Phono stage was priced incorrectly by me !

Here's what Alan says

"The Nick Gorham MFA stage retails at £9500, just for MM input 😱 also, the DIY wasn't costed because it is a DIY piece"
    Last edited by Bigman80; 06-07-2017 at 20:36.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The improvement came by way of diagnosing the "Miller effect" and then curing it
    I have visions of bags of flour for some reason.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Designed originally for studio use on CD to Vinyl mastering and in direct to vinyl recording it is very transparent and detailed. This would be an ideal unit to try out the AT33.
    What a coincidence Ken. I recently bought Hugo's AT33PTG as I wanted to try a LOMC with my Aqvox. My usual cart is a Hana SH. The AT33PTG is impressive but the jury is still out whether it's better than the Hana. Not sure if you're using the balanced inputs on the Aqvox? I've always run it balanced although I must say that even the RCA inputs completely transformed my Shure M97xE.
    Cheers, Jeff

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have visions of bags of flour for some reason.
    😂😂

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post

What a coincidence Ken. I recently bought Hugo's AT33PTG as I wanted to try a LOMC with my Aqvox. My usual cart is a Hana SH. The AT33PTG is impressive but the jury is still out whether it's better than the Hana. Not sure if you're using the balanced inputs on the Aqvox? I've always run it balanced although I must say that even the RCA inputs completely transformed my Shure M97xE.
    Front gain settings on the Aqvox should be quite different with those two cartridges. I'd expect that with the Hana SH the gain knobs should be turned to almost the minimum setting. I have an early MK II so my max gain setting is +14 dB with +3 dB at 12 o'clock.

With the AT 33 PTG I'd expect that the optimum gain setting should be somewhere in between +2.5 & +5 dB.

If you're not there you might try experimenting with those or other gain settings.

I'm Spartacus.

Thanks Blake, you're right about gain. I will need to play around more with the AT33PTG as it was clearly lacking drive compared to the Hana. Hana gain is set at 1.5dB and I think I had the AT at 3dB (12 o'clock) but can't be certain as it was a while ago. Must find some time to listen again.
    Cheers, Jeff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast