+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Audio Technica AT33PTG/II

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
    Thanks Blake, you're right about gain. I will need to play around more with the AT33PTG as it was clearly lacking drive compared to the Hana. Hana gain is set at 1.5dB and I think I had the AT at 3dB (12 o'clock) but can't be certain as it was a while ago. Must find some time to listen again.
    Yes my Aqvox is older, with up to +14 dB on the gain knobs. Hard for me to tell but looks like the current/newer model maxes out at +10 db?

If that's the case you may have to go even a bit higher. I find that you really need to experiment with the Aqvox to find the sweet spot.

Good luck!

I'm Ken.

What a coincidence Ken. I recently bought Hugo's AT33PTG as I wanted to try a LOMC with my Aqvox. My usual cart is a Hana SH. The AT33PTG is impressive but the jury is still out whether it's better than the Hana. Not sure if you're using the balanced inputs on the Aqvox? I've always run it balanced although I must say that even the RCA inputs completely transformed my Shure M97xE.
    Yes, using balanced input/output, I'm in the process of getting parts to build some copper interconnects/arm leads for comparison. My present leads are silver, continuous from cartridge tags to phono stage. Are you using the AT33PTG II or the earlier one?
    The cantilever on the mkII is very slim compared with other cartridges I have used.

I need to do some tweaking on the rest of my system before I can fully evaluate the Aqvox. How do you find it? My impression so far is its a bit polite, highly detailed and transparent, but lacking the rythmic energy that draws you in. The bass goes deep but is a bit lacking in dynamics. My impression might change when I make some adjustments.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Yes my Aqvox is older, with up to +14 dB on the gain knobs. Hard for me to tell but looks like the current/newer model maxes out at +10 db?

If that's the case you may have to go even a bit higher. I find that you really need to experiment with the Aqvox to find the sweet spot.

Good luck!
    I'm finding quite small adjustments to the gain controls makes a noticeable difference.

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    I'm finding quite small adjustments to the gain controls makes a noticeable difference.
    They do indeed. IMO you will find that the sweet spot with respect to gain (and ultimately dynamics) is very small and the window very narrow. With reasonably low output cartridges (say .2 to .3 mV) I'd actually say it is well within 2 dB and closer to 1 dB. Something that I have stated here before but those with fixed gain phono stages might not be able to appreciate.

It may also vary from record to record depending on the level the record was cut at but adjusting for individual records is moving into audiophile nervosa territory (akin to adjusting VTA/SRA for individual records) and not something I'm interested in.

It is very audible. Be thankful you have the ability to adjust and make use of it!

I'm Ken.

I'm also finding the sweet spot varies from record to record, but still within a 1dB window.

This window location varies depending on the VTA setting on my arm.
    I now have the cartridge VTF towards the top of the specified range and the VTA slghtly tail down, as per the instructions to help lift the bass.

Just checked, mine is a mkII with +14dB gain adjusters.

EDIT: The mkI as reviewed by TNT Audio had +10dB adjusters.
    Last edited by Qwin; 07-07-2017 at 06:51. Reason: Added mkI note

I'm Spartacus.

Are you using the AT33PTG II or the earlier one?
    It's the original, with an ESCo paratrace to boot, so most likely not representative of the AT33PTG sound though still pretty good so far.

I need to do some tweaking on the rest of my system before I can fully evaluate the Aqvox. How do you find it? My impression so far is its a bit polite, highly detailed and transparent, but lacking the rythmic energy that draws you in. The bass goes deep but is a bit lacking in dynamics. My impression might change when I make some adjustments.
    I rate the Aqvox very highly (mine is Mk I). It's been years since I've listened to very high quality phono stages but I recently got to compare it to the Trilogy that everyone seems to rave about and preferred the Aqvox. It is remarkably even handed, precise, wide open on top and with very extended bass. I think these qualities could come across as polite though I wouldn't describe it as such otherwise I wouldn't be keeping it. I haven't had problems with (bass?) dynamics - do you mean LF impact?
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Ken.

I haven't had problems with (bass?) dynamics - do you mean LF impact?
    Yes, when listening to albums I know well and have heard through several systems, like Grace Jones - Night clubbing, or Yello - The Race, its a bit light weight at the moment, even compared to my Pro-Ject Phono Box RS. It has bags more detail and transparency though, it goes deep but lacks impact. Things might improve when I tweak my set up.
    After talking to the folks at Aqvox, I'm making some custom balanced leads for my linear tracking arm, which might help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm mighty impressed with it, I just want more.

EDIT: This is part of it, knocked these up last night, got to make up some fine Litz twisted pairs for the tone arm, to connect to it.

Last edited by Qwin; 08-07-2017 at 09:23. Reason: Added Picture

I'm Ken.

I swapped out the valves in my Pre amp and its made all the difference.

The Aqvox has toe tapping beat and energy in the bottom end now, so not at fault.

Even managed to reduce the VTF on the AT33PTG/II to the middle of its specified range without loosing anything and seemed to gain focus.

Gave it all a good work out using Grace Jones, Yello and some Organ music, Bach's Toccata and Fugue.

It's sounding great, never noticed the subtle details in those deep notes before, the AT33PTG/II is really shining now and the combination with the Aqvox is producing some really sweet highs (London Grammar). When Boris speaks in Yello's, The Race it's a clean and focused reproduction of that rasping deep drawl of his.

When my Ortofon MC20 Supreme decides its had enough, I wont be looking any further than the AT33PTG/II.

I'm Spartacus.

Glad this has worked out. If anything I think it shows how simply inserting something new into a system that has been carefully balanced around existing components can sometimes lead to incorrect conclusions. The Aqvox bass is quite remarkable not just in terms of extension but also definition and texture, including on synth bass. You've made me want to play my Yello and Grace Jones LPs but you'll hear this too on Prince (various) and Quincy Jones (The Dude) on the off chance you have these albums. It's easy to mistake this control and absence of LF bloat and artificial warmth as being lean and lacking in impact. As I listen to rock, I also value drive and impact, so it's good to know you're hearing this too.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Ken.

Yes, it seems the synergy that was there with my Pre, other Phono Stage and DAC was lost when the Aqvox was inserted.

I don't even know why I tried it, but It only took a few minuets to whip the top off my Pre and swap the valves to a different brand.

It is a much better match now, I just new there was something missing.

Just need to finish the mods to my Turntable/Arm now to accept my new interconnect arrangement. I'm converting my linear tracker to accept the 5 pin mini DIN sockets/plugs and installing some twisted pairs for the balanced wiring configuration. I'm hoping the new wiring will work even better with the AT Cartridge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast