+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Wright VRR IKON integrated vale amp...

I'm ROGER.

Default David Wright VRR IKON integrated vale amp...

I Bought this off a bloke from the wam about a year ago, I had it refurbished and serviced and had the faceplate covered in shrink wrap vinyl to match the decor of my room and which can be easily removed
    David Wright (Audio Note, Beauhorn) VRR Ikon Integrated valve amplifier

The text below is taken from the listing on the wam.

A high sensitivity 7 Watt per channel (at 8ohm) single-ended pentode-connected amp. This uses 5B255 tubes (807 derivatives from USA military), with stabilized screen grid. It has no fewer than 5 inputs plus a tape loop and it comes with eight spare valves and a sturdy AC power cord.

Please read in full before considering, and forgive the verbosity – I’m likely to wax on more than a little so grab a cup of tea and get comfortable – so I can try and fully communicate the history and performance of this wonderful amplifier.

It looks, shall we say, workman-like, though the basic casing hides particularly high quality components.

It’s a tricky thing to get across – primarily because VRR amps have almost no recorded provenance or status out there although a few valve fanatics here will be familiar with David’s name and reputation when it comes to amplifier design. Also, no matter how I persuasive I might be, as a virtual one-off someone is going to get an incredible bargain, and one I’m doubtless going to regret selling in years to come.

I bought this amplifier in 2005 from Cherry records, an independent classical record dealer based in Herefordshire, they were moving to Canada and were in the process of selling off their prized collection of LPs and a cache of high quality valve amplifiers they offered as a sideline out of their enthusiasm for them.

I had the good sense to archive some of the owner's opinions on VRR and copied the text below which I'm repeating here verbatim:

The choice of valve amps, old and new, is surely wider than ever these days – and each one of them is hyped by somebody, as being in some way special. So, how does one make a rational choice when one can’t hope to home-sample more than a tiny proportion of what’s on offer?

Not surprisingly, people tend to play safe by homing in on such proven amps as Leaks and Quads. Or maybe they trust the judgement of their favourite hi-fi writer (only to find that that next month he will have found something ‘even better’). So let me tell you how we, at Cherry Records, ended up favouring the products of one little-known valve amp designer/constructor – in the hope that it may give you reason to trust our recommendation.

Our discovery was a by-product of finding that Beauhorn loudspeakers provided the musicality which is our prime requirement. It followed that we became interested in the amps that drove them – and this led us to the man who designed and built them.

David Wright had worked for Audionote as a designer and, as I got to know him, I learned that he used to repair and service old Quads and Leaks in his spare time (still does, for that matter). I learned how, even from his lofty Audionote perspective, he was struck by the enduring quality, good value and good sound of those old amps. Yet he knew he could do much better – not only through superior design but also through using better quality components that were coming on the market via military equipment sell-offs in the late 70s and early 80s. Hi-fi build-quality was generally falling fast at the time (still is?) and David felt confident he could create a new generation of winners, by combining old-fashioned quality with new technology, at a reasonable price. He is one of those rare people who really and truly put helping people enjoy recorded music first. Add tremendous application and technical nous - and he surely could not fail…

Thus was born VRR. It means Vintage Radio Restoration – and choosing that name, I suspect, may have been the first mistake made by David and his partner. To me, the name implies retro, whereas they were actually engaged in quite major evolution. Altogether, I suspect that they did not take their marketing seriously, perhaps under the common illusion that ‘if it’s excellent and well-priced, it’s bound to succeed’.

They did sell some VRR amps, but not in sufficient numbers to make a go of it.

At this point, I’ll stick my neck out and say that VRR amps are substantially better than any equivalent Leak or Quad model in every single area, and more musical than most of the best current designs, at a fraction of the price. They are also more practical than vintage amps (and many modern ones), in that David Wright’s telephone number is on the back of each one and he stands behind his products!

Consequently… we at Cherry Records accumulated a small stock of these VRR amps and got David to service them. We had intended to encourage the cult following they deserve and sell them off slowly.

--

The amp has performed flawlessly for a decade or so - I've had it serviced just once a few years ago and had the volume pot upgraded to an ALPS blue velvet.

I've also swapped the valves in the pre-amp section to the very best I could find: military grade NOS Mullard CV4004/M8137 box-plate anodes, these alone cost over £200.

Over the years I've stockpiled spare power tubes which are still freely available, the amp will be sold with 8 NOS and boxed 5B255m valves. I doubt you'll ever need to buy another in your life. The original Golden Dragon 12ax7s originally fitted by David in the pre-amp section are also bundled with the sale. That's another £100+ worth of untouched valves in with the bundle.

Indirect communication with David a couple of years ago indicated that he was proud to have made an integrated amplifier in such a small housing, his contention was that if only people listened to VRR amps rather than being driven by contemporary hysteria for certain valves or configurations they would have sold like hot cakes.

Here's your chance to own a domestically acceptable amplifier that will go toe to toe with the very best for what is likely to be a bargain price. All sensible offers considered. I would much (much) rather it went to an aficionado or someone who has an appreciation of the amplifier hence its listing here.

A very lovely amp is yours for just £650 collected

I'm Lawrence.

So how do you find it?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm ROGER.

With sensitive speakers its simply fabulous & a fair bit better than my audio note oto, also sounded great through my Harbeths too.
    Last edited by ERICLIMPIT; 05-07-2017 at 21:06. Reason: spelling

I'm Grant.

Default David Wright VRR IKON integrated vale amp...

Looks fine in blue. Bet it sounds good with full rangers too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

lordmortlock Guest

Errr ... blue?

I'm ROGER.

The pics do give it a bluey tinge but in real life its more a sparkly Purple mauve

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

"Workmanlike" it may be, but personally I think kit like this looks great... Like it was built to do a job [and do it well], rather than be some pretentious piece of audiophile jewellery!

'Purposeful' is how I'd describe it, and I mean that as a compliment. However, Roger, I always feel that kit like this needs to be shown with its hood off, so potential buyers can see the important bits inside, which after all are its main selling point.

So let's see her with her skirt off, so we can have a peek at what lies underneath...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ROGER.

As requested, enjoy...

I'm ROGER.

A little bump

I'm ROGER.

Just plugged this little amp in as I hadn't listened to it for a while, I'd forgotten how bloody brilliant it is, what was I thinking wanting to sell this? far too nice to get rid, so I'm keeping it, for the time being...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast