Hi all,

Just a little update.

There has been a huge amount of listening time gone into picking the right components for the upgraded MK2. Several capacitors & opamps have come and gone. A whole redesign of the circuit has happened twice and in-between a few mods have been dropped in to the Vivant, so to say Alan has been busy is an understatement!

Finally, there is a prototype ready to listen to.

First of all, a big thank you to Charlie at SS-Audio for the Burson V5 Opamps and a big thank you to Andrew at Sparkylabs for his SS 3602 discrete opamps.

A write up of their specific units is on the way.

So, here's what I've found after a 24 listening period

First of all, we are using the Burson V5 opamps in the prototype. I'd love to keep them a secret but I can't because they look so distinctive (see pic).

These little gems are so fluid and airy that they really fit into the ethos of Alan's design principle. I have to say that the presentation of the music is sublime. In my opinion, there is a very real sweetness throughout. Big, punchy bass and treble that dances like moonlight on the sea. Stunning.

The "production" model will come with a STD opamp. The Supercharged version will come with Burson V5's. This decision was taken due to cost. Not Alan's costs. Yours. The Bursons are available for £60ish online and Alan Felt they would push the purchase price too high. We have a standard op amp which is, frankly, outstanding and performance is ridiculous from such a tiny object. For me, the Bursons add 20% extra quality.

Luckily, the OTP is going to be offered in a Supercharged package too, which will include upgraded capacitors, upgraded opamps and an upgraded front panel. I will post pictures as soon as it's back from the engravers!

One of the first bits of feedback from the MK1 is that it wasn't the quietest in terms of background noise. Alan has performed some surgery and we are now confident that this stage MUST be the quietest we've heard. The problem was due to how the opamp was being used to create gain for the MC stage of the board. This has now been rectified as a result of the circuit redesign and procurement of a better suited opamp. The noise level from the Opamp is now less than 1.0nv. (that's bloody low) 😂

The difference​ in low level detail is now apparent. The lower noise floor is revealing all of that detail in abundance. Vocals are undeniably better. And so is the percussion. More snap, focus and the placement of each skin is laid out further apart. Very satisfying to hear such realism.

It should also be pointed out that the power supply has been swapped to a UK safety rated wallwort. Initially, there was no need to move the transformer from the OTP itself, but once the extra circuitry became necessary, the decision was made to take it out and use a wallwort. I can say with certainty that this is a great move. No hint of hum or buzz.

So, when will it be ready for sale? Not yet!

Alan is still looking at how an upgrade package for the MK1 owners can be done. We are trying to do this in the cheapest way for you MK1 owners!

As it's still in the prototype stage, it may face a couple of further mods and once that's done, and the design is finalised, Alan can sort out the price.

Early signs from this phono stage are incredibly exciting.

More to follow!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk