+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firebottle OTP-MK2

Bigman80 Guest

Default Firebottle OTP-MK2

Hi all,

Just a little update.

There has been a huge amount of listening time gone into picking the right components for the upgraded MK2. Several capacitors & opamps have come and gone. A whole redesign of the circuit has happened twice and in-between a few mods have been dropped in to the Vivant, so to say Alan has been busy is an understatement!

Finally, there is a prototype ready to listen to.

First of all, a big thank you to Charlie at SS-Audio for the Burson V5 Opamps and a big thank you to Andrew at Sparkylabs for his SS 3602 discrete opamps.

A write up of their specific units is on the way.

So, here's what I've found after a 24 listening period

First of all, we are using the Burson V5 opamps in the prototype. I'd love to keep them a secret but I can't because they look so distinctive (see pic).

These little gems are so fluid and airy that they really fit into the ethos of Alan's design principle. I have to say that the presentation of the music is sublime. In my opinion, there is a very real sweetness throughout. Big, punchy bass and treble that dances like moonlight on the sea. Stunning.

The "production" model will come with a STD opamp. The Supercharged version will come with Burson V5's. This decision was taken due to cost. Not Alan's costs. Yours. The Bursons are available for £60ish online and Alan Felt they would push the purchase price too high. We have a standard op amp which is, frankly, outstanding and performance is ridiculous from such a tiny object. For me, the Bursons add 20% extra quality.

Luckily, the OTP is going to be offered in a Supercharged package too, which will include upgraded capacitors, upgraded opamps and an upgraded front panel. I will post pictures as soon as it's back from the engravers!

One of the first bits of feedback from the MK1 is that it wasn't the quietest in terms of background noise. Alan has performed some surgery and we are now confident that this stage MUST be the quietest we've heard. The problem was due to how the opamp was being used to create gain for the MC stage of the board. This has now been rectified as a result of the circuit redesign and procurement of a better suited opamp. The noise level from the Opamp is now less than 1.0nv. (that's bloody low) 😂

The difference​ in low level detail is now apparent. The lower noise floor is revealing all of that detail in abundance. Vocals are undeniably better. And so is the percussion. More snap, focus and the placement of each skin is laid out further apart. Very satisfying to hear such realism.

It should also be pointed out that the power supply has been swapped to a UK safety rated wallwort. Initially, there was no need to move the transformer from the OTP itself, but once the extra circuitry became necessary, the decision was made to take it out and use a wallwort. I can say with certainty that this is a great move. No hint of hum or buzz.

So, when will it be ready for sale? Not yet!

Alan is still looking at how an upgrade package for the MK1 owners can be done. We are trying to do this in the cheapest way for you MK1 owners!

As it's still in the prototype stage, it may face a couple of further mods and once that's done, and the design is finalised, Alan can sort out the price.

Early signs from this phono stage are incredibly exciting.

More to follow!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    There has been a huge amount of listening time gone into picking the right components for the upgraded MK2. Several capacitors & opamps have come and gone. A whole redesign of the circuit has happened twice and in-between a few mods have been dropped in to the Vivant, so to say Alan has been busy is an understatement!

Interesting stuff... It sounds like you guys are keeping busy.
    Some bits are more interesting than other for me.

Although probably not the right thread, I will be interested to know if any of these bits translate into the KIN as well.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Interesting stuff... It sounds like you guys are keeping busy.
    Some bits are more interesting than other for me.

Although probably not the right thread, I will be interested to know if any of these bits translate into the KIN as well.
    Well, the KIN's phono stage is the same as the Vivant so whatever Alan has done to the Vivant can be done in the KIN. There are a set of Caps that I'm trying tob get Alan to try in the KIN so keep your eyes peeled for that if it happens lol

We have been busy and I have to say, the hours of listening to the same 30 secs of a song are paying dividends !!

Bigman80 Guest

A couple of pictures. The Burson V5 pictured, won't be used or available as an upgrade. Listening tests have shown that there is a better suited alternative. Also, there will be no supercharged version. Alan has decided to only make the Supercharged spec OTP as standard!!!!

Early listening tests have proved to be quite incredible. The performance is outstanding.

More to follow

I'm Neil.

I have the pleasure of having one of these in my system at the moment, Alan kindly loaned me one for a few days.
    It was set up around 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, half 10 last night I was still listening to it, it is very very good, superb in fact, I had some seriously eye opening moments.
    Can't wait to finish work and have another listening sesh

I'm Con.

Oliver is there a upgrade path for the OTP MK1? And how would you compare mk1vsmk2 at this stage . It's great to hear that a mk2 version is coming out but at the same time disappointed as I've had my mk1 for 2 months and already the mk2 is on it's way .BUGGER .

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maouna View Post
    Oliver is there a upgrade path for the OTP MK1? And how would you compare mk1vsmk2 at this stage . It's great to hear that a mk2 version is coming out but at the same time disappointed as I've had my mk1 for 2 months and already the mk2 is on it's way .BUGGER .
    Don't worry! This is something Alan and I have anticipated and Alan is very keen to make the upgrade cost as low as possible. At the moment, it's still having a couple of bits experimented on. As soon as a final component list has been determined, a price can be set.

Comparison wise, the MK2 is the quietest phonostage I've heard. The background noise is non existent until I max out my volume control. Therefore, depth and low end detail is clean and clear. There is a sniper like accuracy to instrument placement and the sustain is far more evident. The lack of background noise has allowed this to happen in my opinion. The scale is very impressive, low low bass, almost sub level is delivered deliberately with attack. The MIDs are smooth and full, timbered and harmonic. But everything is very very clean.

Personally, I think the OTP MK2 is better than Alan's own Firebottle Plus phonostage.

I'll do a full write-up when it's in its final state.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Moses View Post
    I have the pleasure of having one of these in my system at the moment, Alan kindly loaned me one for a few days.
    It was set up around 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, half 10 last night I was still listening to it, it is very very good, superb in fact, I had some seriously eye opening moments.
    Can't wait to finish work and have another listening sesh
    It's very excellent isn't it!

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Watches thread closely ......

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Watches thread closely ......
    Andy! Glad to see you have found the thread. You are going to love the MK2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast