+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rcm cleaning with a moth - what bits are best?

I'm jamie.

yep,you can add 5% iso if you wish,the first 5 pages of is thread give you all the info,its written by a chemist not someone shilling a record cleaning fluid

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...-wrong.689430/
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Charlie.

Josie,

My Moth RCM is now at least 20 years old and still going strong.

Don't worry about out of date photoflo. It's just a surfactant and keeps for ages. I have a very old bottle, which I use in my darkroom as well for film development - it's fine.

My RCM mix is (by volume) - 80% distilled water: 20% IPA with about 5 ml of Photoflo per 1L of wash mix. 1L will clean over 100 LPs.

Inner sleeves - depends whether you have printed inner or a plain inner If it's a plain inner, I just use the white poly inners from covers33. If it's a printed inner, I now usually use a separate plain inner for the LP and have the printed inner empty - alternatively I also Nagaoka inners inside a printed inner.

Outer sleeves - usually don't bother - just adds to the shelf inches - important if you have 000s of LPs

Velvet bits for the RCM - just buy from Moth or British Audio Products - just stick onto the horizontal vacuum arm next to the slit - no need to put anything inside.

Charlie

I'm Peter.

For what it's worth, I've tried three mixes (homemade is best) with the right high quality ingredients.
    1. The Right Stuff (sample supplied from this forum)
    2. THe Jazz Collective recipe (just superb)
    3. Project "Wash It" (Very Good)

Plus... as Struth puts it a good Wet Goat.

For me.... others may disagree, Number 2 does it for me at quarter of the cost of commercial stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

I apologies..... sorry a typo for fluid No 1

The "Right one" ........ not the Right Stuff.

Sorry...... it's an age thing.

Peter

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    I apologies..... sorry a typo for fluid No 1

The "Right one" ........ not the Right Stuff.

Sorry...... it's an age thing.

Peter
    Don't give me that Peter! Bet you're younger than me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Russell.

I've got a Pro-Ject RCM and love it. But it's not that different from the Moth. It has some fuzzy lips for the suction tube, but I think come time to replace them, I'll use the VPI replacements. Or perhaps make some from the replacement MoFi fuzz for their record brush.

Which is a good brush, but not my only brush. And expensive! $20 for a rubber block with a fuzzy stick on covering, but it does have a lot of surface area, and does a fair job of scrubbing records.

I use the MoFi fluid too, mainly because it's readily available and it works. Is it the best? I don't know. But I've got the regular wash, super wash, and enzyme wash, and haven't run into anything it didn't clean to my satisfaction. And at $30 a bottle it's not cheap, but a bottle will last a very long time, maybe 200 records or more?

And also I use the MoFi inner sleeves, I've never tried any others, but they seem to work just fine. I bought an RCM starter pack, that included the wash, the brush, and the sleeves, that's how I got into all the MoFi stuff, and it works. Is it best? I couldn't say. But it is readily available.

I'm Josie.

Thanks very much guys for your help. It's all great advice.

Hmmm.. So which avenue in regards to fluid? I'll have a think.

I always liked the Nagaoka sleeves but at the same time find the a bit fiddly. These analogueworks ones seem to be available and are cheap too.

Does anyone find Nagaoka ones fiddly or is it me? Lol

I ordered some furry lips (ooer) from analogue seduction, they were cheap enough.

The pics I've seen of the moth, the lips curl in to the slot, is that just another way of doing it? I ask because the edges of the strips feel quite rough and could potentially scratch the record?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Don't give me that Peter! Bet you're younger than me.
    It's my 70th year this very day. Bet you can't beat that.

I'm Martin.

Good luck with that - Geoff's older than Methusala
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Josie.

Happy birthday, Peter 😀

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast