+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Rcm cleaning with a moth - what bits are best?

I'm shahrin.

Great tips here Thanks
    I ve been what i ve been told is a chinese clone of the VPI RCM for a couple of years.
    I ve been using detergents all this while but i ve assembled the stuff to make the proper stuff based on what i ve read in this great forum.

So I have the distilled water (from hospital lab, thanks v much) i have abt 2 L of rather expensive isopopyl alcohol ( made in the USA by Leica! for use in labs) and i ve got a bottle of Ilfotol off eBay.
    Someone posted that they use ethanol instead of isopropyl (ispropanol)
    Any theoretical difference ? if not would methylated spirit do ?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Grant.

no, use isopropyl. with 2 litres youve enough there to last you 10 years
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

Don't use meths, it leave a powered residue.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    no, use isopropyl. with 2 litres youve enough there to last you 10 years
    Its true ! I ll use what i ve bought.
    I am looking forward to trying this concoction.
    I note that a few of you clean new vinyl before first play, as in Marco's post somewhere
    That did puzzle me somewhat.
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade

I'm Grant.

no puzzle, they often still have some release compound on them from when they were in mould. a good wash and de static initially is a good idea. got one in this morning and although it looks perfect it will be cleaned. if i play test it first, it will be noisier... ive tested this before
    Last edited by struth; 26-07-2017 at 09:13.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Don't use meths, it leave a powered residue.
    +1 - keep the meths for cleaning paintbrushes and the occasional wild party
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    Its true ! I ll use what i ve bought.
    I am looking forward to trying this concoction.
    I note that a few of you clean new vinyl before first play, as in Marco's post somewhere
    That did puzzle me somewhat.
    In a way, brand new sealed records can be even dirtier than old used records. At least with used records the stylus has gathered and collected all the debris that gets shipped with a new LP. So make sure you clean your stylus after playing a new LP (unless you've first cleaned the new LP).
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm shahrin.

Thanks for the explanations guys
    Seems to me that the quality of some new vinyl leaves much to be desired both in the sound quality and gunk on them.
    i ve been spinning LPs for decades - never ever cleaned new vinyl before.
    Bought a RCM abt 3 years ago and always felt that it was to clean dirty old vinyl, besides fungus is an issue in the humid conditions here.

Turns out i have 3.8 L of isopropyl alcohol so I am set

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    Thanks for the explanations guys
    Seems to me that the quality of some new vinyl leaves much to be desired both in the sound quality and gunk on them.
    i ve been spinning LPs for decades - never ever cleaned new vinyl before.
    Bought a RCM abt 3 years ago and always felt that it was to clean dirty old vinyl, besides fungus is an issue in the humid conditions here.

Turns out i have 3.8 L of isopropyl alcohol so I am set
    I'm in the same boat -- never occurred to me that shrink-wrapped LPs would ever need cleaning. Until a friend explained to me that not only will new LPs sound much better after being cleaned, but the stylus will last longer etc.

When you think about it for a moment, record pressing plants are not exactly a surgically clean environment. There's lots of dust and other particles flying around, and any time you're handling vinyl, static builds up and attracts, like a magnet, those air borne particles. They then dive deep into the grooves, hence the sound on most brand new LPs is not always all it can be
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Grant.

meant to put this in here too.... amazon us do a inner sleeve called diskeeper by sleeve city. these are superb and cost 20$ imported for 50.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ps they fit into printed inners too
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast