View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 5.00%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

0 0%
  • 7/10

0 0%
  • 8/10

2 10.00%
  • 9/10

8 40.00%
  • 10/10

9 45.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, July 2017: The Beatles - 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band'

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Do have a listen to the Magical Mystery Tour album. All your descriptions apply equally to MMT.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Edward, will do. Tried listening to Revolver on headphones via Spotify yesterday. I couldn't cope with the instrument separation left to right, particularly the guitar on Taxman so turned it off. Going to try again at home.
    Thorens TD160. Denon DL-110. Arcam DV137. RPI with Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC and Chromecast Audio.
    Firebottle +. Arcam Delta 60. Adam Audio Artist 5 and Kef Reference 103. MS Audio/Klotz MC5000 and Fisual Hollywood Dark Twist.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    There is a wealth of talent on display in almost every Beatles albums and listening to them in chronological order gives you a sense of how quickly they developed from a Rock n Roll band to pioneers of new sound and recording techniques. The best band of all time for that reason alone, never mind all the amazing songs they made lol
    The very noticeable change and development in music from the Beatles and contemporary bands in the later sixties, came about from experimentation with 'mind altering substances'. Not only did this influence the way bands played and wrote, but the era was one in which the demand for 'trippy', psychedelic music had to be met or bands would fall by the wayside, so to speak. It was the age of 'flowerpower' and 'love and peace' and being stoned etc......

(there is no best band of all time though )
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Edward.

Ah yes the stereo mastering done in he 60s and 70s very different then. Remember stuff was still being released in mono so stereo was often hard panned left right.

Try find the 2009 remaster of Revolver. I think it is better.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Source: Win10 server, Win10 Mini-ITX Renderer running JRiver
    DAC / Preamp: Perreaux DP32
    Amp: Radford Revival STA25, TubeHunter Class D IRS2092
    Speakers:, Kudos Cardea C2, Acoustic Research 8BX (modded)
    Power Conditioner: ISOtek Qube 1kw
    Currently resting: Chevron Paradox NDF16 DAC, Radford Revival Prototype preamp, Paul Baldwin 405C amp, Arcam 290P, Sony TA-VA8ES, PMC LB1 Signature, Micromega MyDac

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Ah yes the stereo mastering done in he 60s and 70s very different then. Remember stuff was still being released in mono so stereo was often hard panned left right.

Try find the 2009 remaster of Revolver. I think it is better.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Aye sure, i have a few records like that. Have it on at home as i type. Much much better.
    Thorens TD160. Denon DL-110. Arcam DV137. RPI with Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC and Chromecast Audio.
    Firebottle +. Arcam Delta 60. Adam Audio Artist 5 and Kef Reference 103. MS Audio/Klotz MC5000 and Fisual Hollywood Dark Twist.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Amen to that Geoff.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The very noticeable change and development in music from the Beatles and contemporary bands in the later sixties, came about from experimentation with 'mind altering substances'. Not only did this influence the way bands played and wrote, but the era was one in which the demand for 'trippy', psychedelic music had to be met or bands would fall by the wayside, so to speak. It was the age of 'flowerpower' and 'love and peace' and being stoned etc......

It only my own personal opinion Geoff. I usually reach for the Beatles when I need a reset. It just sounds how music should to me.

Mind altering substances. Wonderful stuff!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Oliver.

The 2009 remasters are all very good IMO. I only need yellow Submarine and Past masters to finish the box set.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Mike.

The best ones, besides Sgt. Pepper are, IMO
    A hard day's night
    Help !
    Rubber Soul
    White album

The very best
    With the Beatles
    Revolver

Having all they made is the best way to go of course
    Technics 1210, MCRU Linear PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. LP12/Aro/Lyra Dorian, Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, Ortofon ST80SE SUT, Rega Isis CD, Marigo Labs Clear Transformation CD mat, Belles VT-01 MK II Pre Amp, Belles MB200 Mono Power Amps, TAD E1 speakers. Creaktiv racks, Mains Cables: Coherent, MCRU Ultimate, Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz, TQ. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent socket

Mike

I'm Grant.

abbey rd and yellow sub are both very good too
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Thanks to everyone who listened to this album and voted.

It seems to have been well received, which is gratifying. For myself I will give it 9.5, but since that is not possible I'll round that down to 9/10.

Cheers
    Barry
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast