+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any recommended coupling caps?

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I get the Impression that there Is some kind of synergy with valves and polypropylene caps because the two of often seen together.
    Valve amps often don't need very large values of capacitance but they do need quite high voltage ratings. Polypropylene match those criteria quite nicely and polypropylene is one of the best dielectrics, hence their popularity in valve amps. I don' think there's any particular sonic synergy between valves and polypropylene as such.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Good point Alan regarding the marking being on the top. I had an epiphany and remembered I had a couple of Wima MKPs on another board I had lying around. Only rated to 160V but they're only seeing 52V so should be ok.
    You will find that the coupling cap will almost certainly see the maximum voltage across it at switch on before the valves warm up, if you have silicon rectifiers.
    If the rectifier is also valve then the case is different.

Measure the voltage at the moment of switch on. If you get 203V for only a short period then I'd say you are unlikely to get a failure, but that's not to say you won't.

Good to know you have got 'more air and overall separation'.

I'm Mark.

Mundorf Zn for me.

I'm Alan.

I think everyone in the Universe knows that Mark

Very fine capacitor choice though but possibly bettered by Le Clanche (tin foil construction, the same as Zn) when encountering a lower stand off voltage.

YMMV of course

I'm John.

Cheers Alan. Measured the voltage across the caps at power up. Voltage just builds steadily over a Couple of seconds to 52 or 53 volts and I'm using a good quality DMM with fast bar graph display.

It is solid state rectification with CRC, see photo below.

I was missing a bit of the bass weight from the old caps so in an attempt at best of both worlds I paralleled both sets of caps and it works

Sounds great

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPink View Post
    Mundorf Zn for me.
    Those look reasonably priced Mark, exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of but don't think there's room in here

I'm Mark.

Film/foils are always a bit hefty, admitted. The Zn's are a sleeper as people think the more expensive ones are better ... he he !
    Never heard the Le Clanche ones Alan - that's a new one on me but I'll check up on them.
    In phonos it's a been a tough call between Mundorf Zn and Rel PCU (copper/polyprop) , I may have one of each in each channel in my phono.

I'm Neil.

Russian mil-spec PIOs bypassed by teflons. I have some spares if anyone is interested. They are big and heavy though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Russian mil-spec PIOs bypassed by teflons. I have some spares if anyone is interested. They are big and heavy though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer Neil but not a lot of room in here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12