Thread: technics and lenco gl75

I'm Geoff.

See here:

Extensions:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LENCO-GL75...YAAOSwWKtUr7en

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goldring-L...IAAOxywh1S~RiX

Platter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Glass...IAAOSwi1tZYAt3

The glass platter looks really good once fitted. Gives a 12mm lift and more mass.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

hi geoff
    many thanks for the links and insight.
    i cant believe how much choice,mods and approaches there are for this turntable...the choices are bewildering for sure
    now let me open up afew can of worms...
    ive read in plenty of places that the original lenco tone arm is really quite good/or total pants...opinions...gotta love them
    my question is this to the peeps that have played and experimented with said arm and others....out of the original arm and the linn arm i have (linn lvx) what will give me the best sound quality and bang for the buck out of the two once tweaked and modded etc?
    i did also think about a rega arm as most seem to think that would be a big step up and can still be brought cheapish,but im not sure if that can be mounted on the standard lenco base with suitable modification or it needs to go further out on a wider plinth(i love the plinth i have,so whatever route i go must work within the confines of the original lenco top plate...if that makes sense)
    these questions are just thoughts for future direction,ideas and mods...pre planning if you will,or is that just dreaming

I'm Alan.

Nothing wrong with dreaming

I have the original arm on my Lenco and am very happy with it. I was talking to Dom (famed for his cartridges) from North West Audio about the Lenco arm, he recons it is a good one, providing you change the original bearing blocks, as they will almost certainly be past their best now.

I have added a headshell weight cut from lead sheet and an additional counterweight to add mass, and now run a low compliance cart with no problem.

Cheers,
    Alan

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    hi andrew
    thanks for the heads up regarding the oil,i will certainly look into it when i get my head on.
    do you feel a different bearing is a investment and improvement?of course the one you brought can no longer be brought,i was after the reinforcement coller that he made,still plenty others out there, they all look shiney and nicely made.
    was thinking of going the double platter route....mainly to help sort my vta adjustment problem out....but i may have a quick fix for that,but i do like this,https://lencohell.wordpress.com/component/ but like all these things,you never know if there really a improvement till you have them,listened and played....thank god i have limited funds at the moment,that limits my hastiness and reckless gun oh approach.
    The original bearing is a fantastic piece of kit and TBH is more than capable. I bought a bearing from Jolyon on LH purely because of the excellent price, £135, it certainly beats paying £750+ for a garrard bearing . There is a new bearing being produced by a chap in Malaysia for £130 (i think) which is getting good feedback. You can't buy the Jolyone bearing anymore so if you fancy an experiment I would first tinker with the original bearing with different types of oil and ball bearings, thrust plates and then if that dosen't quench your thirst for modding, you can try an after market jobbie.

heres a quick question...
    i cant get the vta level because the linn arm fitted cant go down low enough to match up to the platter,i cant build up the platter enough with mats etc as i then run out of spindle to secure the record.....temp solution im thinking is to make a thick card or something spacer to fit between the arm headshell and cartridge,i realise i have to keep a eye on the weight of said spacer but do you experts reckon that will work?any problems with that idea? i have about 2-3mm thread length on the cartridge nuts and bolts so i should be able to make a spacer that size.

regards
    smithie
    Why not try adding some old records under your platter mat, some people swear that the best platter mat is a 12" single. You could always buy some from your local charity shop to experiment. This will certainly improve your VTA and may give you a positive sonic gain!

hi geoff
    many thanks for the links and insight.
    i cant believe how much choice,mods and approaches there are for this turntable...the choices are bewildering for sure
    now let me open up afew can of worms...
    ive read in plenty of places that the original lenco tone arm is really quite good/or total pants...opinions...gotta love them
    my question is this to the peeps that have played and experimented with said arm and others....out of the original arm and the linn arm i have (linn lvx) what will give me the best sound quality and bang for the buck out of the two once tweaked and modded etc?
    i did also think about a rega arm as most seem to think that would be a big step up and can still be brought cheapish,but im not sure if that can be mounted on the standard lenco base with suitable modification or it needs to go further out on a wider plinth(i love the plinth i have,so whatever route i go must work within the confines of the original lenco top plate...if that makes sense)
    these questions are just thoughts for future direction,ideas and mods...pre planning if you will,or is that just dreaming
    Stick with your Linn tonearm, it's not best but you've not fully explored its capabilities. Why not play around with the VTA and platter mats and see if these help?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Nothing wrong with dreaming

I have the original arm on my Lenco and am very happy with it. I was talking to Dom (famed for his cartridges) from North West Audio about the Lenco arm, he recons it is a good one, providing you change the original bearing blocks, as they will almost certainly be past their best now.

I have added a headshell weight cut from lead sheet and an additional counterweight to add mass, and now run a low compliance cart with no problem.

Cheers,
    Alan
    The original arm is ok but I wouldn't have one on my Lenco.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

I have the original arm on my Lenco and love it. Just re-wired and new V-Blocks and it sounds better than either the Regas or Linns that I have used on previous Lencos.

Keeps the deck original and looks better too.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm paul.

hi
    thanks everyone for your input and thoughts.
    well im still happy and really impressed with the lenco,so much so that its really getting me back into vinyl big time,so much so that i want this to be the best sounding of my source choices within my system...and ive always been a digital kinda guy
    ive been busy of late but i have managed to find the time to strip down the bearing,clean,replace ball bearing and pressure pad and re-oil....that tinkering certainly paid dividends regarding uplifting sound quality,but as mentioned in a previous post the ball bearing that came with it had a flat spot,also the grub screw type thing on the side of the bearing that locks in the spindle wasnt screwed in... rumble has now gone,or at a level that isn't noticeable or a worry to me
    can i also say a big thank you to "brian 2957"...aka brian for selling me a shure m55e and jico stylus along with some parts to service my bearing and afew other bits....total pleasure to deal with and chat to....many thanks once again brian.
    regarding tonearm,i think the best thing for me to do is to source all the bits to make up the original lenco arm and set up and have a listen and compare to the linn arm i have.
    trouble is my turntable isnt standard so i i cant just put the original arm back in to try...so ive managed to locate a cheap top plate....i can see me building another one as and when cheap parts come up and can be found,if im lucky with that idea/plan then ill probably build it to standard spec with its original arm....at least it would give me a chance to hear the two arms and decide what i like,and if i find a cheap rega rb250,or jelco arm then i could be in for a long haul
    at present im looking over ebay for cheap decent carts to buy and listen to, after listening to the shure im coming to the conclusion that there could be something in these old timer carts...trouble is it looks like everyone else has come to the same conclusion,as alot dont seem cheap enough for a punt or try...not that i would know what was a decent cart and a bargain to be had...the joys of being a noob again after so long digital
    of course you can all feel free to send me a private message regarding some sleepers worth trying and still going for peanuts because of there undiscovered status...im good at keeping secerts
    ive started already....and come unstuck straight away...told you i was a noob,or is that nob?...still it was cheap...any help and love with this...
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...994#post881994

regards
    smithie
    Last edited by smithie; 18-07-2017 at 01:25.

I'm paul.

hi everyone
    i have a question to any wood experts out there...can anyone tell me what wood the plinth to my turntable is made out of?
    im building a phono project to go with this turntable and would like to build a cabinet to match along the same lines..i know nothing about wood,it seems to match up to a oak of some sort,but then i see oak in other pictures and it dont look anything like it...being colourblind dont help either....anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Geoff.

Yes Anto. I think it is Oak (or Oak Veneer). Oak grain patterns can vary.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

thanks geoff
    i really like my turntables look,hence my quest to know exactly what wood it is (no veneer here) as a mini me phonostage sitting next to it to me would look even better.
    im not letting the fact that i know nothing regarding wood or wood work skills deter me
    thanks for the help.

regards
    paul

I'm Geoff.

Build your phono stage box from MDF and veneer it Anto. Much easier and cheaper than working from solid Oak.

Plenty of decent veneer on ebay. That's where I get mine from.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast