+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worth Buying An A & R Cambridge A60 amplifier?

I'm Martin.

Default Worth Buying An A & R Cambridge A60 Amplifier?

I have an urge to buy one of these and the matching tuner. I try not to buy much "vintage" stuff now although I dispute the term vintage as it makes me feel very old

Talk me out of it It it worth having a dabble bearing in mind I will have to re-capacitor the whole thing. My soldering iron is ready

What should I pay for a tidy example as they range from say £70 to £200 for the amplifier.

I have the Arcam Alpha 1 which is a bit of fun with a very low noise floor...better than the Creek 4040 in that respect.

Is the A60 a fighting contender for the Nytech 252 or is it just time to stop buying vintage equipment and get with the times.

Best wishes
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 14-08-2017 at 16:41.

I'm Geoff.

The A60 sounds 'safe' with budget gear. Which is why it used to be popular. I've had a couple and found them rather unexciting and dull. Same with the NAD 3020 and Audiolab 8000..............I'd not touch a Nytech.

If I wanted an old amp, I'd consider a Cambridge P50/60/80. Not exactly the ultimate in reliability, but surprisingly decent sounding. Rotel RA-611 is rather nice too and doesn't go wrong, which is why there are still quite a few about. Both have good phono stages.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Yes I think what drives this is products I feel familiar with because I grew up with the adverts and they look good to me. Its hardly a proper reason to be buying them now as times move on

I looked at what you mentioned and my feeling is they go back too far into the seventies but as you say they probably sound very good

I probably going to stop buying vintage gear now and go with my plans for a new passive pre and power.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The A60 sounds 'safe' with budget gear. Which is why it used to be popular. I've had a couple and found them rather unexciting and dull. Same with the NAD 3020 and Audiolab 8000..............I'd not touch a Nytech.

If I wanted an old amp, I'd consider a Cambridge P50/60/80. Not exactly the ultimate in reliability, but surprisingly decent sounding. Rotel RA-611 is rather nice too and doesn't go wrong, which is why there are still quite a few about. Both have good phono stages.
    Technically interesting and ahead of their time but they have indeed got a dubious reliability record...

I was thinking the other day that it could be fun to do up a Leak Stereo/Delta 70 into a "street sleeper"
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Technically interesting and ahead of their time but they have indeed got a dubious reliability record...
    My P110 gave sterling service (apart from a noisy volume pot) for over twenty years before I moved it on.

I must have been lucky.

+ Reply to Thread