+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The lovely Sennheiser HD650

I'm Shane.

Now using HD600's, no longer have the 650's.

600's has a little more clarity, the bass is a touch leaner. Otherwise very identical to the 650's.

I've decided the 600's are going to be my endgame headphones. Their midrange is almost perfect! Highs are silky smooth, without sacrificing the music information. Bass is rich and extends down deep enough for my needs.

Don't get me wrong. The 650's are nice headphones. It's just at times, I find them a little bit cloy sounding for my taste.

S.

I'm Patrick.

Glad your enjoying them. I think they are great headphones, I did a fair bit of reading before getting them and think you would have to spend quite a bit more for better sounding ones, rich and lush sounding but neutral as well.

I'm Jo.

Default Headphone heaven...

I use the Sennheiser HD 650s as well as their HD 700s.

The 700s are excellent for good quality recordings, they really do present music in the most authentic way I've ever heard over a headphone. That said, they are such a revealing set that only quality recordings are suitable. The 650s are great for everything else, I listen to a lot of historical recordings and the 650s are worth every penny they cost. Where the 700s would present flaws as they are in the sound field the 650s somehow seem to tuck them away so they are not nearly so apparent.

I happened to spend last week using the just the 700s as i was trying to determine if there were any significant differences in the various interconnects I have. Last night I used the 650s and they seemed muggy in comparison with the 700s, but after half an hour or so that impression had gone.

Both sets are comfortable, perhaps the 700s edge it with the light airy feeling of wearing them; The Beastly No Tail prefers the 650s with the thick pads and secure impression the clamping force gives. Both are fantastic headphones in my opinion, but given the poor quality of a lot of [even modern] recordings the 650s would be the pair coming accompanying me into exile.

I'd love to try out a pair of the HD 800s, perhaps with second hand prices falling that may not remain a dream forever.
    Last edited by Landloper; 05-09-2017 at 08:17. Reason: Gash grammar

I'm Adam.

I won a pair of HD650s on an online Hi-Fi competition about 11 years ago. Best 5 minutes I ever spent doing this compo.

I have driven them in various ways :- Little Dot II and III Valve Headphone Amps, Capella etc.

I listen to them practically every day after the rest of the family go to bed. After listening I wrap up the cable and put them back in their original hard case box. Doing this the cables seem to last about 5 years at a go. Had to install a new set (cost about a tenner) just last week.

I sold my Capella when I got my SEG. I also run a highly modded Musical Fidelity X10D valve stage which takes the Analogue out from the SEG to my Creek 50A Integrated Amp. I actually find I prefer the sound coming out of the Creek 50A Headphone Socket. Remember this is the sound of the SEG going through the MF Valve Stage before it hits the Creek 50A. Sounds wonderful to me and I get to use the Remote Volume Control provided with Creek Amp (handy when you have got yourself comfortable on the Sofa !)
    Adam.

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Now using HD600's, no longer have the 650's.

600's has a little more clarity, the bass is a touch leaner. Otherwise very identical to the 650's.

I've decided the 600's are going to be my endgame headphones. Their midrange is almost perfect! Highs are silky smooth, without sacrificing the music information. Bass is rich and extends down deep enough for my needs.

Don't get me wrong. The 650's are nice headphones. It's just at times, I find them a little bit cloy sounding for my taste.

S.
    Shane,

Are you using the Lehmann or did you move it on?

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Shane,

Are you using the Lehmann or did you move it on?
    Moved it on a while ago. Needed the cash!

Did use the 650 with the Lehmann.....Sounded really good!

S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123