+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket.

I'm Ken.

Learn from this guys, don't just move to some other on line storage facility, or facebook etc.

Create your own website, store COPIES of the pictures on there and link to them.
    I don't even trust the hosting providers and have a full copy of my website stored so I can move it where I want.

Even if you change Hosting providers your links still work, so your not tied to any one company, I changed mine a few months back.

Costs me £2.99/Month to run my site with Best Web Hosting and I get unlimited storage.

You can run a blog or whatever on your own site and you get email addresses attached to it. Which are again, fixed to your site and you can keep if you change hosting companies. eg myname@myname.co.uk which is what I have, amongst others.

I don't think uploading to AoS is a good idea, but I'm not sure what the storage capacity is with its hosting service.
    Don't want to grind it to a halt.

I'm gone.

I don't seem to be looking at this from the same perspective as many of you folks.

Yes, I used Photobucket.
    Yes, my forum images are gone.

But I've always regarded posts and threads as transitory things of the moment,
    A thread is active for a while - folks follow it, contribute, see what others post .... and then move on to the next thing.
    It's like a conversation - you say something and it is gone, with no permanent record left.

Yes, it's a bit sad that the historical images are gone and the threads often fatally disrupted for viewing now.
    But they served their purpose at the time.

I can see that AOS's technical databases being corrupted is a bad thing, a lot of people put a lot of work into compiling them as a resource for others to use.
    But the regular threads, well, they served their purpose at the time.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    They don't own the images - you do, so it should be up to you to do with them what you like.
    On most, probably all, of these sites, if you read the small print, THEY own everything on their site.
    It's a cover all, so no one can take legal action if they loose something.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Learn from this guys, don't just move to some other on line storage facility, or facebook etc.

Create your own website, store COPIES of the pictures on there and link to them.
    I don't even trust the hosting providers and have a full copy of my website stored so I can move it where I want.

Even if you change Hosting providers your links still work, so your not tied to any one company, I changed mine a few months back.

Costs me £2.99/Month to run my site with Best Web Hosting and I get unlimited storage.

You can run a blog or whatever on your own site and you get email addresses attached to it. Which are again, fixed to your site and you can keep if you change hosting companies. eg myname@myname.co.uk which is what I have, amongst others.

I don't think uploading to AoS is a good idea, but I'm not sure what the storage capacity is with its hosting service.
    Don't want to grind it to a halt.
    you got a link Ken?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    In my opinion what Photobucket are doing is nothing short of corporate blackmail. They don't own the images - you do, so it should be up to you to do with them what you like.

In some ways what Photobucket is doing can be seen to be little different to criminal hackers with ransomware attacks. I too refuse to pay the $400 ransom Photobucket are charging.

I have written many articles for The Knowledge, and as 'Fount Master' the responsibility to maintain this facility for the benefit of Members is mine. Many, if not most of the images are hosted by Photobucket. The original images taken by me are stored on the hard drive on my PC, but having been downloaded at different times over the last 10 years are in as many folders, along with holiday snaps etc. To re-install them in a 'safe haven' will be a long, tedious and protracted effort - not one which fills me with any enthusiasm.

And as one Member has already stated, the action of Photobucket now makes me reluctant to post here with any regularity, if at all.

Grant, as someone who is a real numpty when it comes to software matters, could you describe in words of one syllable how images stored on my PC can be directly posted here? Thanks.

Method to upload photos to site...

Click on your username at top. On next page down left hand side there is a section called albums. Click on more, then on create album. Give it a title and description, leave it public and save.
    Then click upload pictures, the add files. Add files which should show in a row below. Once you have the ones you want in that row, click done at bottom right. Then save changes button.

Now when you click on that pic, you willl receive a bb code at bottom.. post that directly into your post( no brackets are needed at they have been added).
    Done...
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Anybody wishing to experiment with this or other image uploading can try it out by sending themselves PM's with photos added. That's what I do when I'm testing something.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    you got a link Ken?
    https://www.bestwebhosting.co.uk/

I have found them to be better than most at support, online support chat can solve minor problems, if you take out a support ticket they get back to you pretty quick. You can even ring them, which I tried before subscribing just to check. I've used 4 services and these are by far the best.

Avoid Yorhost like the plague. Impossible to contact, they just ignore emails, even about billing and their telephone number does not exist.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    On most, probably all, of these sites, if you read the small print, THEY own everything on their site.
    It's a cover all, so no one can take legal action if they loose something.
    In that case I shall delete everything I have on PB once the images used in The Knowledge are secured. Photobucket won't remain viable for long if every user does the same.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

they still hav'nt removed any of mine. I didnt have many tbh but afaik they are all still up. I did some tests recently and all were there last I looked. But yes I will be deleting my account as much as I can there too. its bad form what they did. I think they are only interested now in business types using it. they are bound to know the average Joe is not going to stump up £400 a year.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

All my photos on Photobucket are in folders which are "Private" yet they have always been visible on AOS and still are.

Is it just albums which are set up as "Public" on Photobucket that are been held to ransom?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast