+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Driver Bit Rate Settings

I'm Peter.

Thanks for that.... many others have said the very same. !!!!

I haven't the kit to up-sample anyway, just basic good stuff.

Any information is really appreciated from you aficionados.

I thank you

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Thanks for that.... many others have said the very same. !!!!

I haven't the kit to up-sample anyway, just basic good stuff.

Any information is really appreciated from you aficionados.

I thank you

Peter

I have an iFi nano DSD USB DAC, when one installs the iFi drivers it also installs an iFi app, you'll see it in the win 10 program list (assuming you installed the drivers), under 'iFi (by AMR)'.

This links to the below exe...

"C:\Program Files\iFi\USB_HD_Audio_Driver\iFiHDUSBAudio_cpl.ex e"

...this will show the current sampling rate that your iFi is operating at.

I only use red book, so can't confirm on its accuracy

FYI I use Foobar2000/WASAPI, the sample settings are there for use in 'shared mode', you'll be using your iFi in 'exclusive mode', so WYSIWYG and no resampling...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Peter.

Will, thanks for that information.

I think I have now got it sorted thanks to your help. Apparently, it makes no difference if the initial setting is 16 bit / 44.1 kHz or 24 bit / 96 kHz as the file plays at it native bit rate in both JRiver and Tidal.

This is good and bad news as I thought my McIntosh CD500 "onboard" DAC was pretty good but alas, it won't play my real Hi Res files, I.e. DSD files and even 24 bit 192kHz files appear to have a very low level ticking in the background.

I have contacted McIntosh and apparently the ESS Sabre chips in this particular model are specified to be reliable at a top bit rate of 24bit / 96 kHz although they do infer that higher bit rates are possible.

So.... it looks like it's CD / SACD on the McIntosh and look for a good second hand DAC that will play the High res Digital files.

Oh my !!!!! More money.

Thanks again for your valued advice.

Peter

I'm Grant.

SMSL do a good range of dsd and variable rate models. i use one with my headphone kit. its a headphone amp too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Thanks for that Grant, I'll have a look

I'm Peter.

Well.... after much deliberation and Finance consideration and much appreciated advice from this Forum... Struth (Grant) and others. It would be lovely to purchase a true high end DAC for many of thousands of £ to replicate my Vinyl system, but that's not the point as this really is a different format.

So..... I really would have liked the Mytek Brooklyn DAC to the Gustard X20u, if cost was no object. However, that's not the case as I don't have £10k spare cash.

Being realistic and having the opportunity to listen to a friends iFl (On Loan) for a short period. The "iFl micro iDSD Black label" for £550, I'm just knocked out with the perceived quality.

It does just about everything from MP3 to DSD 5 MHz and sounds pretty good to me.... plus it's portable connects to just about anything. Swan Song Burr Brown Twin DAC's and recently upgraded with high quality components.

What more could I ask for, at this price????

I know there are many DAC's out there that would knock this kit into oblivion .... but perhaps happy days ahead.

At least the McIntosh CD500 Transport can now play CD's and SACD discs without me being so critical.

Thank you again for your advice and assistance.

Peter

I'm Edward.

Peter

I've been looking at this thread and glad you seem to have sorted things out.

Nevertheless I would imagine your McIntosh MCD500 will give awesome results even though its digital inputs (both (coax and toslink) is limited to 44.1/16 redbook standard. (as per my reading of the manual).

Even though your IFI iLink can accept up to 192/24 (from USB) there is no point as the McIntosh can't accept such higher resolutions. So simply, within JRiver, go to DSP Studio and set all higher sample rate inputs to output at 44,100 hz. Any downsampling done at this stage by JRiver will be PPP (practically pretty perfect) and then will flow through the iLink with no further up or down sampling to the McIntosh which, as you know, will do a great job in the analogue conversion.

Redbook standard, if converted well, will sound great - the major limiting factor is the original mastering - or heaven forbid the horrible compression applied to many CDs.

But having said all that, if you are still unhappy with your McIntosh I would be very happy to cure you of your unhappiness - just send it to me.

E
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Peter.

Edward, thanks for that write up. Sensible and knowledgeable to say the least.

However, me being impetuous and a bit naive (I.e. Thinking that a £5k transport would open up the world, is far from the truth.)

I'm now using the CD500 as a CD/SACD player and all digital music is now via a iFI iDSD black label DAC as it plays just about anything you can throw at it....16 bit 44.1 kHz to DSD. (Just super quality for the money)

I had purchased just too many DSD recordings to waste them. If I had another 5k to spare I would purchase the latest all singing all dancing McIntosh CD..... but alas, that's not possible.

The Sabre DAC,'S in the CD 500 are specified at 24bit / 96kHz, but as I said previously...... not higher. (It made too many high res downloads redundant.

We live and learn but thanks for you advice.

Peter

I'm Edward.

Peter

How are you finding the high rez and DSD tracks? Have you compared to Redbook with same tracks?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Peter.

Hi Edward,

It seems a bit crass to say... but some of the High Res and DSD recordings are comparable to analogue vinyl. (Me being a vinyl nut) and by comparison to CD Red Book Recordings .... are another level, but at a cost. Perhaps, I would not repeat, for not all recordings are equal as you must appreciate. Some Fab and Some not so Fab. (it's a bit like 180g vinyl..... not all are as you imagine.)

A lot of money wasted..... but you've got to try or this would be a very sad world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast