+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Pre Amp to go for?

I'm Jez.

I see he's edited it to remove some of the most glaring errors but there is no such thing as "true impedance" and no "figure of merit" applicable to a passive and nor is there any way that specific values will affect the dynamic range... not without a compander hidden in the potentiometer!
    The worst (highest) output impedance is at the electrical midpoint of the pot (assuming a low source resistance), not the opposite as LDR's post originally hinted.
    To be pedantic, we are talking resistance not impedance when discussing a passive pot (and in this context specifically a passive pot), A few MHz would be the lowest frequency where impedance would be more suitable a term.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post

<snip>

Your thoughts, recommendations much appreciated.

Mike.
    I had a similar question recently and got lots of useful feedback here.

Ended up with a Radford Revival preamp - well pleased.

Edward
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    I had a similar question recently and got lots of useful feedback here.

Ended up with a Radford Revival preamp - well pleased.

Edward
    thanks for the link, I've now decided that the best way to go would be to add a Headphone amp via RCA in from the Slagle Pre and forego the remote ( unless the HA came with one ), so I am now browsing various reviews for a decent Headphone amp that goes well with the rest of my system.

Irony is I've owned a couple in the past and sold them on when I wasn't needing them lol

I'm Grant.

plenty good headphone amps for not much money these days mike. ive 2 chinese ones and both are great
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I see he's edited it to remove some of the most glaring errors but there is no such thing as "true impedance" and no "figure of merit" applicable to a passive and nor is there any way that specific values will affect the dynamic range... not without a compander hidden in the potentiometer!
    The worst (highest) output impedance is at the electrical midpoint of the pot (assuming a low source resistance), not the opposite as LDR's post originally hinted.
    To be pedantic, we are talking resistance not impedance when discussing a passive pot (and in this context specifically a passive pot), A few MHz would be the lowest frequency where impedance would be more suitable a term.
    I have not edited anything.

I'm tony.

Mike why dont you get Colin to hot rod your TQ CLAYMORE. Head phone /DAC/Phono section are all excellent plus youve already got a remote. Ive had a few HPAs and Dacs the Tq Claymore is by far and away the best ive tried.

Failing that the q20 pre would be a perfect match and within budget-bet the headphone section would be stellar!!!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    So it's fine to repeatedly and regularly mislead AOS members with blatantly incorrect falsehoods shrouded in a bit of technical sounding gobbledygook to make it sound plausible is it? "False news" (to make it topical) welcome but calling it out and ridiculing it not? If it were up to me I'd do something about a trade member repeatedly proffering false information and advice which is very definitely WRONG... or does he have to advise sticking a finger in a mains socket before anything happens?
    No. just saving forum members lives when it actually matters : http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...t=oscilloscope

I'm Mike.

I've managed to sort of fix this issue by digging out the NuForce iOS DAC/Headphone amp that I was selling. It's not ideal as I can only run my iPad through it as it's an iOS only input on it, but it will do the job for just now and once I get my Vivant Phono stage back from loan I'll get the Slagle hooked up again and that should be my output side sorted for a little while 😊

The NuForce DAC is pretty decent, pretty close to my Pi/Boss Dac setup with the added bonus of Headphone out.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    No. just saving forum members lives when it actually matters : http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...t=oscilloscope
    True, you were advocating safety, but your assertion that the mains cannot be measured directly with an oscilloscope was plain wrong.

I'm Chris.

But it remains that it is not safe to do so. The emphasis is surely for AOS members, should be to start with safe methods, not to create
    enthusiasm for what is potentially a lethal form of measurement.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equip...questions.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast