+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Pre Amp to go for?

RothwellAudio Guest

Crossing the road is potentially lethal - you just need to be careful.
    BTW, what's the link to another forum for?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Crossing the road is potentially lethal - you just need to be careful.
    BTW, what's the link to another forum for?
    Hi Andrew
    To show others have similarly raised safety issue questions: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equip...questions.html
    Post 6
    "Unfortunately, the standard in emasuring devices, including generators, scopes etc, is that the ground is conencted directly to earth potential, which is basically near to mains voltage 0. This means that wherever you hook up your probe ground, you short that poit to earth potential - and if it's not already there or fully floating, this can be a disaster. "

Post 9
    "Most lab scopes' earthing lug is internally connected to the probe's shield, so regardless if you use a isolation transformer or not, you still have the issue that the probe common is earthed. You have the option, with said iso-xfmr, of "floating" the scope (by not connecting the earthing lug or third prong to ground), but this is most certainly a safety hazard, as the case of the scope can become energized."

I'm Alan.

Default Avondale 821 pre amp

I really like my Avondale Audio 821A pre amp
    I bought a pair of 821A pre Amp boards form Les Wolstenholm from Avondale Audio. I added a Elma 5 way switch, a Goldpoint stepped attenuator and a power supply with TPR4 regs
    it has 5 X gain which is ample for may sources and it sounds superb IM

http://avondaleaudio.com/store/#!/Au...=0&sort=normal

Alan
    Last edited by 337alant; 04-07-2017 at 21:28.
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    If you like the Slagle, why not build one? Trannies off the site, box off ebay and the unquantifiable musical ecstasy of listening through something you've built!
    What are the merits of a preamp built by Trannies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

I too am shopping for a preamp, and I've got to say it is the most difficult component to buy. I guess if price were no object, it would be much easier! But, trying to narrow down the field can be a daunting task, so many variables.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    What are the merits of a preamp built by Trannies?

Lipstick marks on the capacitors?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Lipstick marks on the capacitors?
    Ha! Yes of course! A very exciting preamp....

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Chris,
    With all due respect, those of us who contributed to that thread, were in no way recomending this method to forum members, and were merely pointing out that it can be done, and is done by person's here who have an electronic background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi Andrew
    To show others have similarly raised safety issue questions: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equip...questions.html
    Post 6
    "Unfortunately, the standard in emasuring devices, including generators, scopes etc, is that the ground is conencted directly to earth potential, which is basically near to mains voltage 0. This means that wherever you hook up your probe ground, you short that poit to earth potential - and if it's not already there or fully floating, this can be a disaster. "

Post 9
    "Most lab scopes' earthing lug is internally connected to the probe's shield, so regardless if you use a isolation transformer or not, you still have the issue that the probe common is earthed. You have the option, with said iso-xfmr, of "floating" the scope (by not connecting the earthing lug or third prong to ground), but this is most certainly a safety hazard, as the case of the scope can become energized."
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Gary.

To the OP:

Look into a second hand preamp by Densen, these crazy Scandanavians pride themselves in their kit having 'Air Guitar factor', and owning one myself I wouldn't disagree.

Boogies like a b*stard and gets right to the heart of the Tune.
    Strongly recommended.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Chris,
    With all due respect, those of us who contributed to that thread, were in no way recomending this method to forum members, and were merely pointing out that it can be done, and is done by person's here who have an electronic background.
    Would it be possible for forum members to restrict posts to the subject raised by the post originator and move any unrelated discussions to an appropriate subject post elsewhere.

Maybe its time for a moderator to step in to bring a common focus to this discussion.

Thank you

Mel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast