+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Pre Amp to go for?

I'm Mike.

Default What Pre Amp to go for?

Hi,

I am on the lookout for a Pre Amp to go with my EWA M-50 Power Amp. I am currently using Ali's Slagle Passive Pre which is superb, and I can keep as long as I like with the probability of purchase, but I'm wondering if there is anything out there that isn't too expensive ( under £1000 S/H ) that would compete with it, or possibly better it ( not easy I bet ).

Would need to include a minimum of 3 inputs, Headphone out and remote control ( no line of site )

The Croft Epoch I had a short time ago was nice, but the gain was all wrong, I think the M-50 needs 22k rather than 47k, is that right?

Jerry's Bel Canto Pre3 looks good but it has green led screen, but I'm not keen on green lol.

I wonder if it would easier to connect a headphone amp to the Slagle output? Then forget about the remote?

Your thoughts, recommendations much appreciated.

Mike.

I'm Geoff.

Why not ask Colin for recommendations?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Why not ask Colin for recommendations?
    I've heard his Q20 Pre and it's excellent but over my budget. I just wanted to pick a few brains in here, sitting here bored watching the rain and thought I'd ask 😊

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    The Croft Epoch I had a short time ago was nice, but the gain was all wrong, I think the M-50 needs 22k rather than 47k, is that right?
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?
    Not really cos I don't understand it, Colin mentioned a figure of 22 when I said the Croft had to be turned almost all the way up to get to semi decent volume, I think he said the M50 likes to see 22 or something, seeing as I don't understand this sort of thing I might be completely wrong lol

I'm Adam.

Hi Mike
    give David a shout at AD Audio (in the trade section) he is building some serious Pre amps, and you won't find better for the money.
    He is very flexible to ones needs and budget. You won't be disappointed.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Simon.

I think the 22k figure is the input impedance (going by the specs I see on the EWA site). What are your sources (solid state/tube)? Maybe try a passive?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The Slagle is a passive.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Nial.

If you like the Slagle, why not build one? Trannies off the site, box off ebay and the unquantifiable musical ecstasy of listening through something you've built!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    I think the 22k figure is the input impedance (going by the specs I see on the EWA site). What are your sources (solid state/tube)? Maybe try a passive?
    With passive attenuators, the figure of merit is what is called true impedance,
    usually occurring close to half volume which is where the resistance from the
    source greets the resistance to ground. Where they intersect and the resulting
    resistance is the same, is the passives true impedance.

This describes the most common form of Pad circuit which is a L pad
    namely a series resistance connects the source to the output, and a
    shunt resistance connects the output to ground,

As with anything there are variations, and the terms linear and log
    can provide - in the case of log a steeper entry curve ie volume not
    commencing straight away. If it is your preference for volume to
    commence as near as practicable to off, then a linear response
    may be preferable to log.

To save much forum research, 15k is generally agreed to be the
    preferred true impedance. ( DIY audio forum ). But 18k to 20k is also
    very good as well. Anything lower like 10k will start to change
    the dynamics of audio, and may appear a bit too dynamic suiting
    some music but not others. Hence slightly higher usually is preferable.

While I am here, a common curly question is what is a passives output impedance ?
    The output impedance at best, is its true impedance, however if volume is
    placed at maximum then it will achieve connection from the source to the
    output with effectively no loss. Output impedance applying to passives
    is a misnomer, as they are not an active device.

Hope this assists
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 29-06-2017 at 13:15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast