+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Latest Project - EAR 834P CLONE

I'm Andrew.

Yep apologies misread I was quite tired last night. I honestly don't know what they use. I use mine with a Anatek head amp to good effect.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Kai.

Hi,

Maybe I've missed it if there was ever a separate thread but did you get this one finished and how did it turn out? Did I get it right you ended up with 3 of these (one prebuilt stock, one DIY and one "premium" DIY). I've been a bit on a look out for a phono stage, thinking around £200-300 max and these 834 clones might fit the bill. In that price range there's a lot of options though, both SS & valve, kit/DIY, 2nd hand etc.

I see there's two different pre-built 834 clones, one that looks like it's about 1:1 copy of the original form factor and then the one which is based on a board layout like your DIY project (actually several different variations of that one)...

How much did the DIY version end up costing you with case and everything? I'm not completely opposed even to getting just boards alone and sourcing everything else myself, but that's quite a bit of work and the costs add up, so I'm thinking might not be that much more expensive (if any) to get the prebuilt version and then keep nibbing away at it upgrading that one - because let's face it, that's what's gonna happen unless the stock parts are very good (which i really doubt they are..) I might go for something else entirely eventually but the 834 clone seems like a very good option.

Anyway interested in hearing your thoughts on these and if you ever had many to compare?

Kai

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Hi,

Maybe I've missed it if there was ever a separate thread but did you get this one finished and how did it turn out? Did I get it right you ended up with 3 of these (one prebuilt stock, one DIY and one "premium" DIY). I've been a bit on a look out for a phono stage, thinking around £200-300 max and these 834 clones might fit the bill. In that price range there's a lot of options though, both SS & valve, kit/DIY, 2nd hand etc.

I see there's two different pre-built 834 clones, one that looks like it's about 1:1 copy of the original form factor and then the one which is based on a board layout like your DIY project (actually several different variations of that one)...

How much did the DIY version end up costing you with case and everything? I'm not completely opposed even to getting just boards alone and sourcing everything else myself, but that's quite a bit of work and the costs add up, so I'm thinking might not be that much more expensive (if any) to get the prebuilt version and then keep nibbing away at it upgrading that one - because let's face it, that's what's gonna happen unless the stock parts are very good (which i really doubt they are..) I might go for something else entirely eventually but the 834 clone seems like a very good option.

Anyway interested in hearing your thoughts on these and if you ever had many to compare?

Kai
    Kai, hope you keeping well.

The project stalled over winter because my garage was freezing and I manage to contract the Flu . I'm in the process of sending this off to Mr. Firebottle to have a look at it, simply because I have so much stuff to do. I think Alan will do a top job and he also has the skills to diagnose any errors in my work, and maybe recommend future upgrades . I have two EAR 834P clones. I have one which I bought from a member over on Lenco heaven which is based around some cheap chineese PCB copies of the EARP circuit, it's intrinsically silver wired and I think has stock standard parts supplied from the Chinese suppliers, so everything is cheap, cheerful but functional. This has input for two tonearms. My second 834 is the one which is the "Reference" version and is the one in this thread it's got silver RCA plugs, solid copper and gold plated IEC, a dual mono-power supply, premium caps etc, solid silver and copper wiring. The ECC83's are NOS mullard's or General Electric JAN's. So I've spent a bit of money on this one! I think I'm upto about £400-500 for my "reference" version but a new EAR834P is well over £1000 and you don't get any fun buying one from the shop. The project was more about tweaking and to be honest the lads over on Lenco Heaven have tweaked the hell out of these boards so what I'm documenting is pretty much what they've done. You can tweak the valve lay out and move away from having x3 ECC83's but that's something I might do later. I'm not sure when I'll be getting this back but I will write something when it turns up!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    It seems a shame to spend all that time, money and effort on this project and then put a huge mains transformer right next to the RIAA board. Why do that? Why not put the mains transformer in a separate box? You could probably improve the signal-to-noise ratio by about 20dB if you did that.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    It seems a shame to spend all that time, money and effort on this project and then put a huge mains transformer right next to the RIAA board. Why do that? Why not put the mains transformer in a separate box? You could probably improve the signal-to-noise ratio by about 20dB if you did that.
    That's why it's going to Alan. I have no understanding of these things and to be honest it's comments like yours which make me see that every so often I need help. Little nuggets and suggestions like yours help people like me (a shed bodger) to get more out of this hobbie. So thanks. I understand the 834 is not the be all and end all of MM circuit design but it's been a hell of a lot of fun so far.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Ralph.

I would post some pics of my two box 834 clone but I just haven't had the time to mess about taking pics, downloading them to my desktop and hosting them etc. I still can't work out how to put them here direct or I would
    Ralph.

I'm Kai.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the update, I take it from your investment of time and money that you do quite like the sound. I'm looking into getting both a new phono stage and a little DIY-project, that's why I asked. Not sure where this itch to fire up the soldering iron is coming from, but I have a huge urge to be building something or at least swapping parts for "improvement" whether real or imaginery

I'm Andrew.

We are in the process of looking at RIAA mods as well as reviewing the RIAA and coupling CAPS and also a few mods to the gain stages. I can't go into too much detail as it's a little over my head. Suffice to say I understand what's been suggested and I'm excited to see how things turn out and to especially compare it with my other 834 clone.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Coming home in a day or so, expect a very very detailed review!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Alan.

Should be with you tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast