+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Project - EAR 834P CLONE

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Why do I bother starting a thread about EAR clone phonostages and then it warps into something completely different? This behaviour really pisses me off.
    im taking notice andrew
    ill be on the look out for something to better the schilt mani i have for not silly money, so i look forward to following this thread and your findings...so dont give up or despair....you have lurkers viewing in the back ground

regards
    smithie

I'm Andrew.

Right, I decided to update this thread. I bought this clone from Germany, ready made. It came with x3 Russian (Mullard) ECC83 valves and they made a nice noise. I've now replaced the Ruskie valves with the proper original Mullard ECC83's from the 1970's and now the phonostage make an even nicer noise. I own 3 other MM phonostages.

1. An inbuilt MM phonostage with my ATC preamp.
    2. The MM stage on my Sugden Masterclass phonostage
    3. The MM phonostage on my Croft Epoch pre-amp.

and then

4. The DOUK EAR834P clone.

The clone piddles all over the sugden masterclass phonostage. Next week I shall be assessing the ATC preamp MM stage, and then when my Paradise goes away for more updates I'll match the clone against Croft. So, I think I'm going to be discussing various shoot out's with other MM stages pitted against the clone and from time to time discuss upgrades along the way. The idea is to hopefully produce a resource, have some fun, and emulate the "shoot-out" list on www.fmtunerinfo.com

So after the 1st shoot out.

1. DOUK Audio EAR834P clone.
    2. Sugden Masterclass MM phonostage

Stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Bigman80 Guest

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm paul.

ill look forward to the shoot outs and your findings andrew.
    im toying with the idea of a 834p build over the winter shorter colder nights,although i was thinking of using a different bare board for my project http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pc-Gold-S...3D201289100765
    ,but a 834p clone never the less
    i would be starting now but im still not 100% sure to go with this or build a scratch built wd phono 3 clone.
    so once again your shoot outs and finding will certainly be of great help with helping me decide,im just hoping i dont come across anything else to tempt me,and give me even more options valve phono stage wise
    andrew,have you ever heard or used a schilt mani?this is what im using at the moment,there for its my reference and what i need to beat.
    if you have heard or used one then im wondering how you feel your 834p clone would fair/compare against that.
    once again ill look forward to your journey regarding the phono shootouts.

regards
    paul

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    ill look forward to the shoot outs and your findings andrew.
    im toying with the idea of a 834p build over the winter shorter colder nights,although i was thinking of using a different bare board for my project http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pc-Gold-S...3D201289100765
    ,but a 834p clone never the less
    i would be starting now but im still not 100% sure to go with this or build a scratch built wd phono 3 clone.
    so once again your shoot outs and finding will certainly be of great help with helping me decide,im just hoping i dont come across anything else to tempt me,and give me even more options valve phono stage wise
    andrew,have you ever heard or used a schilt mani?this is what im using at the moment,there for its my reference and what i need to beat.
    if you have heard or used one then im wondering how you feel your 834p clone would fair/compare against that.
    once again ill look forward to your journey regarding the phono shootouts.

regards
    paul
    I've not heard any of the Schilt stuff. I hope you can get something out of my musings. It's a pity your not in Yorkshire otherwise we could have had a shoot out. So, it's very hard to discern how this clone stacks up against your current MM stage. I'm going to enjoy doing some tube rolling and generally messing around! There are MANY threads over on LH with regards to this clone, loads of mods, loads of different PSU's so there's plenty to muck around with. My understanding is that not all the mods are beneficial and it looks like it going to be a minefield and like you I bought this to mess around with over the long winter nights.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Simon.

I should probably mention that I do have one last Paradise, circuit boards completed, awaiting cases and a buyer. It will defo be the last one I do. All boards are gone.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I should probably mention that I do have one last Paradise, circuit boards completed, awaiting cases and a buyer. It will defo be the last one I do. All boards are gone.
    Well not quite ALL

I do have one of those EAR kits in a bag somewhere just never had time to put it together and I would be interested in the parts substitution as some look pretty poor in the kit
    Ill have a look over on LH thanks

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Well not quite ALL

I do have one of those EAR kits in a bag somewhere just never had time to put it together and I would be interested in the parts substitution as some look pretty poor in the kit
    Ill have a look over on LH thanks

Alan
    Be prepared for several hundred pages of threads. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on component substitution.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Ralph.

I've built a few of these and yes the stock parts are pretty dire. Far better to buy bare boards and fit good quality parts.
    Ralph.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    I've built a few of these and yes the stock parts are pretty dire. Far better to buy bare boards and fit good quality parts.
    Well what I'm listening to is a stock build without premium parts and I'm gobsmacked by what I'm hearing from a Chinese clone! I've sent you a PM!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast