+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrard SP 25 MK IV

I'm Dan.

Default Garrard SP 25 MK IV

Just got one of these SP25's free needs a stylus and ADC cartridge body so brought a QLM 32 repo stylus to get it going but in fairly nice condition as was sat in a loft for 20+ years should sound pretty good when up an running not worth an awful lot but they just do not make it like they used too has the lid a bit of a clean up and will go in the collection for a vintage system i have in mind..

Bring on the haters..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Adam.

No hating here - a fine budget vintage deck. I preferred the Mk3 on purely aesthetic grounds and the MkV and MkVI are the best sounding, IMHO, but its a bona-fide classic.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Certainly is a classic. I started my hi-fi journey with an SP25 Mk.II.
    Barry

I'm James.

Dan, I love this deck. Ok it is not the best Garrard built but I use one every week as it part of my girlfriends 1976 Sony Music centre. I use a special AT 95e cartridge with it and it sounds very sweet indeed. The Sony speakers are beautiful and the Garrard sounds very good indeed as long as you dont expect too much. Yes there is wow and flutter and some rumble but not too intrusive. We listen too it with all music genres and it has become a very satisfying deck to listen too.

So a big fan here!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    No hating here - a fine budget vintage deck. I preferred the Mk3 on purely aesthetic grounds and the MkV and MkVI are the best sounding, IMHO, but its a bona-fide classic.
    Cheers Adam..
    Pre & Power
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Dan, I love this deck. Ok it is not the best Garrard built but I use one every week as it part of my girlfriends 1976 Sony Music centre. I use a special AT 95e cartridge with it and it sounds very sweet indeed. The Sony speakers are beautiful and the Garrard sounds very good indeed as long as you dont expect too much. Yes there is wow and flutter and some rumble but not too intrusive. We listen too it with all music genres and it has become a very satisfying deck to listen too.

So a big fan here!
    Hi James

Interesting seems to have a better rep then i thought the stylus should be here by Thursday i'll let you know what i think no not expecting to much as long as it works has a rumble on 78 but whisper silent on 33/45 so all should be well.
    Pre & Power
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Adam.

Interesting you mention wow and flutter. The last time I serviced one of these, it was at the same time as a friend’s more modern and much more expensive belt drive deck, which he asked me to service.

The belt drive deck took a hell of a lot of cleaning, adjustment, belt substitutions and speed control tweaking before it would run at the correct speed. Even then, it would drift after an hour or so.

The Garrard was bang on 33rpm when I started it up after servicing it. I left it running and checked it again two hours later after I’d been faffing with the other thing. Result? Still absolutely dead on 33rpm!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Interesting you mention wow and flutter. The last time I serviced one of these, it was at the same time as a friend’s more modern and much more expensive belt drive deck, which he asked me to service.

The belt drive deck took a hell of a lot of cleaning, adjustment, belt substitutions and speed control tweaking before it would run at the correct speed. Even then, it would drift after an hour or so.

The Garrard was bang on 33rpm when I started it up after servicing it. I left it running and checked it again two hours later after I’d been faffing with the other thing. Result? Still absolutely dead on 33rpm!

Helpful Info i will admit it took a few moments to get it running but been running it since this morning and all seems well to me but what do i know i'll leave it as is for the moment altering between 33/45 sure runs up fine that will be it for today and will will it again tomorrow.
    Pre & Power
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Andy.

I had 2 of these and fully serviced one and added new wiring and an AT91 cartridge and gave to a friend who is delighted with it so good on ya.
    The other one is still in my garage and I will probably service it and change the cart (can't even remember what is on it) and give it to my brother in-law as his current TT is one of the nasty cheap plastic £30 ones that are all over the place..... I know this will beat that easily!
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Certainly is a classic. I started my hi-fi journey with an SP25 Mk.II.
    Yup me to, nice turntable, although mine ended up having having an SME arm fitted to it with a Shure M44 E.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast