+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Project - EAR 834P CLONE

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    ...I would be interested in the parts substitution as some look pretty poor in the kit
    What are you basing that on? Is it the resistors you don't like? The capacitors? Can you be any more specific?

I'm Andrew.

OMG! I've just started going through the threads over on LH, looks like this project is going to rumble on a while!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alan.

Best to start at the end and work back over I found as there are some good summarys of the best valves and components
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Best to start at the end and work back over I found as there are some good summarys of the best valves and components
    Yes, I agree and it's also useful to chat to folks that have completed these projects in the past. I've already sifted through some of the threads and can see where a "consensus" of opinion has been formulated with respects to several of the mods. Lots more work to do before I start doing any tweaking.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

New PSU built for this project and a new PSU for another 834 clone!! I've also started looking for suitable case with grab handles (has this been used before)?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Slight progression with this project. I'm now building a second 834 clone purely to see how a stock unit sounds compared to a premium parts version.

I bought a Roberts PSU unit and slowly but surely built it up. Some beefy looking kit on that PSU compared to the one I have in my first clone.

DSCN3328.jpg

A different PCB from a different company in China. Xuling company I think.

DSCN3329.jpgDSCN3330.jpg

This PCB is supposed to be better for tweaking. I'm now in the process of selecting premium parts. Fortunately packs are available so all the hard work and thread bashing has been removed. I'll now do a bit of conversing with the guys over in the US of A to confirm a few things before I spend any more of my hard earned on this little project. I hope to finish by Xmas so I have a nice little pressie to help keep my listening room warm over the winter.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Hmmmm, GRAB HANDLES! I just love this styling. This is the case for the new clone. I've also ordered a premium parts kit from the US of A. So it looks like a super 834 is in the making!

s-l500.jpg
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Another small update with this project.

I bought the premium parts kit from a trader in the US of A. He's a regular poster on Lenco Heaven and has spent an insane amount of time researching the mods so this has saved me oodles of time. I've part populated the main PCB and shall go further until I've had confirmation that this is the correct setup. The parts values do not match the PCB, I still have a couple of caps that I'm not sure about.

DSCN3331.jpg

This is the a quick picture showing all the other resistors which need to be populated. I'm not in a rush to get this project finished altough I do want it finished before Xmas.

DSCN3332.jpg

Here's the much anticipated Roberts PSU a fully regulated power supply which has been mooted as a huge upgrade over the current offerings available. This is fully assembled but needs mounting in the case and a transfomer linking up.

DSCN3328.jpg

More later. Stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm David.

Keep the updates coming....I’ve a fairly pimped 834 but I’ve not gone to the lengths of some of the guys on LH.

My version has Kawami resistors and 1% matched parts in the important areas together with the PSU in a separate box which gives a really nice sound but I yet to read any opinions of how much difference the new PSU makes so your report will make interesting reading.
    David.

I'm Andrew.

Hi, what mods have you done?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast