+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Project - EAR 834P CLONE

I'm Andrew.

Default Latest Project - EAR 834P CLONE

Will be getting one of these in the next few days. This has already been made up by a guy over on Lenco Heaven.

Lots of tube rolling fun and oodles of mods to be had!! This should keep me happy for a large part of the year!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Will be getting one of these in the next few days. This has already been made up by a guy over on Lenco Heaven.

Lots of tube rolling fun and oodles of mods to be had!! This should keep me happy for a large part of the year!
    Will this replace your Paradise phono stage?
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

No! The Paradise is booked in with Simon for further updates to bring it upto latest spec. I don't own a valve phonostage for MM carts other than the one built into my Croft pre-amp so I'm looking at getting a "Reference" valve phonostage for my DECCA and MM carts. The Croft is pretty good but I fancied doing a little tube rolling with some ECC83's. I have some Mullards sitting around, so should be fun.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm shahrin.

is this a kit that can be purchased?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Alan.

Sorry to p*ss on your parade Andy but IMO the 834 will never make 'reference' standard.

Its biggest problem is that it employs feedback equalisation, that gives a 'compressed' sound.

Just saying

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Sorry to p*ss on your parade Andy but IMO the 834 will never make 'reference' standard.

Its biggest problem is that it employs feedback equalisation, that gives a 'compressed' sound.

Just saying
    well it's a start towards something reference. Who says it's staying for any large amount of time.
    Last edited by Wakefield Turntables; 29-06-2017 at 08:23.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Peter.

The 834P is an oddity in EAR's line-up. It is probably the biggest-selling valve phonostage in the world, and is certainly EAR's biggest seller by far. OTOH, it was never meant to be a 'reference' product, more an affordable introduction to the world of EAR* (I built the CLEAR kit from HiFiNews back in the 90s, and the fact that TdP put the circuit into the public domain says a lot). As such, it is inevitably compromised as it was built to a relatively low price-point.

However, people who like it, love it! They are often 'music-lovers' first and foremost, people not that interested in the 'kit'. Those people seem to hang on to this product, too ... considering the numbers sold, it appears relatively infrequently secondhand. What do I think of it? The mc version is 'hobbled' by the internal SUTs ime, but the basic mm really is quite good for the money. Lively, dynamic and throws a big sound stage, not compressed at all. Not the most detailed or 'accurate', perhaps, but always 'fun'. Marmite, as they say.

* In the same way the Tron Convergence is not GT's 'reference' statement on phonostage design.
    Last edited by petrat; 29-06-2017 at 07:38.

Bigman80 Guest

*****Daft Question*****

Reference standard = as good as it gets? A unit which other units are compared to?

PS. Looks like you're doing a great job.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Your all mis-interpreting the "reference" thing massively. Please see post #3. This little unit is a starting point for experimentation. It's a fun way of seeing how the amps work and how changing things affects sound quality. Ultimately my experimentation will enable me to look for something that I consider a "reference" for my system and then I'll probably purchase something along the lines of my experimental findings. Of course there are better pieces of kit which piddle all over the little EAR but this is part of the hobby. Hope this clears up a few points.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Your all mis-interpreting the "reference" thing massively. Please see post #3. This little unit is a starting point for experimentation. It's a fun way of seeing how the amps work and how changing things affects sound quality. Ultimately my experimentation will enable me to look for something that I consider a "reference" for my system and then I'll probably purchase something along the lines of my experimental findings. Of there are better pieces of kit which piddle all over the little EAR but this is part of the hobby. Hope this clears up a few points.
    I am sure after you have fettled it, itll be a force to reckon with. I always wondered what "reference" referred to so that's cleared it up for me lol

I am interested to know, does the paradise use feedback equalisation?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast