+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Price of CD's

I'm Neil.

My first 2 cds were both by Saga...Silent Night and Images at Twilight..both German Imports. They were very dear..it was about 1988 ish.

Low volume pressings be it vinyl or CD will always command a premium price. They have to recoupe their costs. Andre do you ever try Cyclops records ? When I buy odd or rare Prog I always try there first. The guy who runs it also runs a prog record label too and his prices are very fair imho.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Who the hell says CD are dropping in price?.
    I heard this on the TV.... you mean they lied ?
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Steve.

Looks to me like they use demographics in HMV for pricing. If you look at the kind of music most sort of middle aged blokes with a reasonable disposable income might listen to, they are much more expensive than the production line crap they market at teenagers these days, presumably as teenagers have a lower disposable income? I know they have more now than ever but I think you get the point.

Last CD I bought from HMV was Jeff Buckley's grace - for £3 ! I refuse to pay much more for any CD and will seek out cheaper sources if there is one I want in particular (play, amazon ebay etc) as I truly believe that HMVtake the p**s big time.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm ChrisB.

Last CD I bought from HMV was Jeff Buckley's grace - for £3
    Hehehe.........So who was the target market for that then?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Last CD I bought from HMV was Jeff Buckley's grace - for £3 !
    HaHa, that's what I paid for mine there. Don't care if I was being targetted or not; Oxfam had the cheek to ask £4 for a s/h copy in a scuffed case (the disc didn't look too clever either)!

I'm quite happy to indulge in the '2 for £10' offers and will pay more, but I do have a mental cut off point at £10. I have to really want the recording, or there has to be a very good reason for me to pay over £10. Sorry EMI, it will be a while before I buy the remastered Beatles from you.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hehehe.........So who was the target market for that then?
    I think that one slipped through the net! I have seen the likes of Floyd, rush etc at £16 for CD's that were released over 20 years ago....
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I think that one slipped through the net! I have seen the likes of Floyd, rush etc at £16 for CD's that were released over 20 years ago....
    This is the thing that maddens me all my CD's are very old 70's analogue recordings warranting the same tag as a fully Digital offering

I'm Lee.

Some of the Beatles remastered stereo discs are 7.72 in my local Asda.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Last CD I bought from HMV was Jeff Buckley's grace - for £3 ! I refuse to pay much more for any CD and will seek out cheaper sources if there is one I want in particular (play, amazon ebay etc) as I truly believe that HMVtake the p**s big time.

Don't they just ! There used to be a big Virgin/Zavvi and A Fopp in Cardiffs main drag.. now they're gone HMV has the place to itself..

I checked it out after Xmas.. Sale? what sale
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Lee.

I bought a couple of 2nd hand CDs today from CEX, one of those places that buy your hardware and DVDs, games and CDs from you.

The one here in Southampton is quite big and they have a lot of CDs, some at very low prices. I picked up REM's Around The Sun and Accelerate for £2 and £2.50 respectively. To be fair, a lot of the cases are broken or cracked but as long as you're happy with that you can pick up a bargain. Mine have gone straight to lossless and into a storage box.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast