+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCRU mains cables

I'm Brian.

Default MCRU mains cables

At the beginning of the year I was lucky enough to pick up a Croft pre and power amp courtesy of James ( jimbo ) and Adam of this parish . These amps are so good that I have decided that this is the end of the road for me in terms of box swapping . I then decided to upgrade my mains cables . I've always made my own from Belden mains cables and decent plugs , however , I decided to treat myself . I contacted David Brook at MCRU , gave him my requirements , and a budget .

The first cable arrived promptly and IMO was really substantial and very well built , fitted with silver plated mains and IEC plug and a covered in a very nice black braid .. I plugged it in between my mains socket and RA mains block and it didn't take much time for me to realize that the MCRU cable was a very audible upgrade in terms of SQ over my own home made efforts . There followed another which was used between my mains block and Croft power amp , again another significant improvement in SQ . Last week I bought the same power cable for my preamp and after some listening I have come to the conclusion that the culmination of all three cables fitted have provided me with a profound improvement in all areas of my systems SQ . My system has changed for the better in all areas . Bass is now deeper , cleaner , and more tuneful . There is more low level information emanating from a much quieter background . Improvements in mids include singers sounding more natural and easier to understand . The top end also sounds more natural . Soundstage is bigger with better separation , singers and instruments now in their owns space . Sometimes when I close my eyes the singer , or band , seem to be in the room . All in all a wonderful upgrade in SQ for not too much money .

The MCRU mains cables have provided me with an upgrade in SQ which I believe can't be achieved by any other means . David has been a top guy to deal with throughout , and I will probably be back for more when funds become available .

Oh... and just to clarify . I have no connection to MCRU , I'm just a very happy customer
    Last edited by brian2957; 28-06-2017 at 09:00.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    At the beginning of the year I was lucky enough to pick myself up a Croft pre and power amp . These amps are so good that I have decided that this is the end of the road for me in terms of box swapping . I then decided to upgrade my mains cables . I've always made my own from Belden mains cables and decent plugs , however , I decided to treat myself . I contacted David Brook at MCRU , gave him my requirements , and a budget .

The first cable arrived promptly and IMO was really substantial and very well built , fitted with silver plated mains and IEC plug and a covered in a very nice black braid .. I plugged it in between my mains socket and RA mains block and it didn't take much time for me to realize that the MCRU cable was a very audible upgrade in terms of SQ over my own home made efforts . There followed another which was used between my mains block and Croft power amp , again another significant improvement in SQ . Last week I bought the same power cable for my preamp and after some listening I have come to the conclusion that the culmination of all three cables fitted have provided me with a profound improvement in all areas of my systems SQ . My system has changed for the better in all areas . Bass is now deeper , cleaner , and more tuneful . There is more low level information emanating from a much quieter background . Improvements in mids include singers sounding more natural and easier to understand . The top end also sounds more natural . Soundstage is bigger with better separation , singers and instruments now in their owns space . Sometimes when I close my eyes the singer , or band , seem to be in the room . All in all a wonderful upgrade in SQ for not too much money .

The MCRU mains cables have provided me with an upgrade in SQ which I believe can't be achieved by any other means . David has been a top guy to deal with throughout , and I will probably be back for more when funds become available .

Oh... and just to clarify . I have no connection to MCRU , I'm just a very happy customer
    Good writeup Brian. Food for thought.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Good writeup Brian. Food for thought.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Oliver . I'm really happy with my system just now and these mains cables have taken it to another level .
    Regards
    Brian

I'm James.

As you would expect I fully concur Brian. They are excellent value for money and doubt if anyone is building anything better for the price MCRU are charging.

Interestingly I found the mains cable I use on my power amp which is a 4mm monster is not suitable for my preamp. I use a lighter weight MCRU cable on this unit as I found the heavier 4mm cable killed the detail and finese somewhat?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

It was after hearing your system using the MCRU mains cable that got me thinking James

Mmm... that's interesting . I'm using the same cable on everything and it's probably the 4mm one . The MCRU mains cable to the preamp was such a big upgrade from the Belden cable that I never noticed any down side . It would be worth trying this other cable which you have . Do you happen to have a link ?
    Regards
    Brian

I'm James.

My preamp cable is this one mate.

https://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/...ower-lead.html
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

Thanks James , I'll have a look
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Kevin.

It's funny that you should post this.
    My 3rd cable is incoming and I am contemplating a 4th and a better power strip.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Rob.

I too have purchase most of my interconnects, and almost all my mains cable from David at MCRU, and have been very pleased with them. And purchasing from David has been a pleasure.
    Rob.