+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any decent 12AU7 recomendations?

I'm Tony.

Default Any decent 12AU7 recomendations?

I'm tube rolling my Yaqin MC13s which has two 12AX7s in V1 & V4 and two 12AU7s in V2 & V3.

So far I've tried Svetlana Winged C 12AX7s and Mullard 12AU7S. I found the Mullards to be really disappointing with a closed in muffled sound.

However, when I put the Svetlana's into V2 & V3 and used the old chinese 12AX7s in V1 & V2 I got a really nice sound, open, smooth and detailed.

I would stick with this but I'm concerned that using a 12AX7 in place of a 12AU7 may harm the amp?

So can I ask if it is OK to keep using Svetlana's in this way. Any concerns?

If not any recommendations for a decent 12AU7?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    I'm tube rolling my Yaqin MC13s which has two 12AX7s in V1 & V4 and two 12AU7s in V2 & V3.

So far I've tried Svetlana Winged C 12AX7s and Mullard 12AU7S. I found the Mullards to be really disappointing with a closed in muffled sound.

However, when I put the Svetlana's into V2 & V3 and used the old chinese 12AX7s in V1 & V2 I got a really nice sound, open, smooth and detailed.

I would stick with this but I'm concerned that using a 12AX7 in place of a 12AU7 may harm the amp?

If not any recommendations for a decent 12AU7?
    I have a pair of these in my power amp. Really ballsy, rhythmic full sound, great for rock and blues. Mullards much more polite IMHO.

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/product...que-12au7-6189

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    I'm concerned that using a 12AX7 in place of a 12AU7 may harm the amp?

Without seeing a circuit diagram it's difficult to say exactly what will happen when using 12AX7s instead of 12AU7s but generally valve amps are pretty robust and there's a good chance that no harm will come of it. Worst case scenario is that there will be more power dissipation in a valve or a resistor than they're designed for and they'll either slowly cook or burn out pretty rapidly. Also, a voltage across a capacitor could rise too high and cause failure. However, more likely than not, no harm will be done.
    Bear in mind that the operating points for the amplifier will be different and distortion might be worse, maximum power output might be reduced etc. Best to just stick with a 12AU7 where the circuit is designed for a 12AU7 imho.

I'm Gary.

Always liked NOS Tung Sol "D-Getter" tubes, the new issue ones are also well thought of?
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...sol-12ax7-tube
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Without seeing a circuit diagram it's difficult to say exactly what will happen when using 12AX7s instead of 12AU7s but generally valve amps are pretty robust and there's a good chance that no harm will come of it. Worst case scenario is that there will be more power dissipation in a valve or a resistor than they're designed for and they'll either slowly cook or burn out pretty rapidly. Also, a voltage across a capacitor could rise too high and cause failure. However, more likely than not, no harm will be done.
    Bear in mind that the operating points for the amplifier will be different and distortion might be worse, maximum power output might be reduced etc. Best to just stick with a 12AU7 where the circuit is designed for a 12AU7 imho.
    ^ Good advice. +1
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Darius.

I have quite a collection of old 12au7s. You cannot go wrong with RCA cleartops and Sylvania long plates. Both cheap and plentiful on ebay.

+ Reply to Thread