+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Technics SL-150 MkII with upgraded RB250 and Ortofon VMS30

montesquieu Guest

Default FS: Technics SL-150 MkII with upgraded RB250 and Ortofon VMS30

I had planned to give this TT to my 18 year old lad as a birthday present, part of a DAC/headphone rig - he has a few LPs now and brings them round when he visits from his mum's. However a recent chat with him informed me gently that he has no space or inclination to have hifi (yet at least) himself and that his priority is saving money to go travelling with. Wishful thinking on my part I guess.

So this is up for grabs:

Technics SL-150 MKII ... the MkII is altogether a rarer beast than the original SL150 and has quartz lock .. slotted in above the Technics 1200/1210 in the hierarchy when new. Comes with the cover (usual light marks but no cracks or chips that I can see), sprung feet (and additional shock absorbing feet not shown), and original mat.

The arm is an RB250 with Expressimo Audio mods (brass stub and counterweight that are $200 before shipping/taxes from the US) and sounds fantastic. I spent £70 with Speedysteve having an armboard done for this - unlike the MkI, there are no MkIi armboards around - and he did a smashing job of it, in black. The original SME-fit armboard is also included.

I've also fitted an Ortofon VMS 30 MkII cartridge with original stylus, a nice compliance match for the RB250. This uses Ortofon's nude fine line tip as currently found on the 2M Bronze (indeed the spec is very similar to the 2M Bronze, its logical successor in the line at a shade over £300).

It sounds awesome - sweet, detailed and remarkably clear and deep in the bass - and has been doing sterling duty in my study for a few months, and indeed I can't remember a time I've done so much listening in there. It would be staying put had I not just completed the build on a Garrard 401 (in the expectation that the Techie was going to my lad's place in Bristol).

Altogether looking for £380 - various write-ups online. Collection from Bracknell area or a meetup M3/M4/M25/A34 sort of patch.

I'm Steve.

Hi PM sent on PFM

montesquieu Guest

Sold STP

+ Reply to Thread