+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If...

Yatsushiro Guest

Cool If...

... I promise to sit quietly at the back, to not make a mess or excessive noise, may I come in?

I've been something of a lurker for a fair while now, seeking (and gaining) knowledge and humour from what has been posted, but it's time I said Hi.

Hi!

I'm in my mid fifties, have never spent a lot of money on audio equipment (and have no intention of ever doing so). What I am enjoying, is discovering what can be achieved with the humble Raspberry Pi and the myriad DACs and Class D amps that are available, allowing me to experiment, reconfigure and make mistakes (sometimes with smoke, but no sparks, yet...) with a relatively small outlay. I do like to tinker, and have an aversion to leaving things as they are...

Before I say anything more, I'll wait to see if I'm allowed to stay

I'm Rob.

Be careful what you wish for, staying here requires copious amounts of mind bending drugs to avoid the inevitable "upgraditis"

I have done a lot of DIY over the years and have a few DIY Class D amps and DIY Dacs. Welcome Paul.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
    .I'm in my mid fifties, have never spent a lot of money on audio equipment (and have no intention of ever doing so).
    Made me laugh that one. Good luck with that!

I'm Phil.

brilliant introduction paul , you will be most welcome here !
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Geoff.

Hello Paul. Welcome to AOS.

I like the intro. Nobody has to spend a fortune on audio. Though some do.

What speakers or headphones are you using?

There's plenty going on here, so have a look around and feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Yatsushiro Guest

Thanks for the warmth of your welcomes

My audio journey really began last year, after buying an RPi2, IQAudio DAC, a TPA3116 amplifier and PS, and a set of Mission 760 speakers (a risky £5 bargain at a local auction house)

I think I tried most of the RPi audio players (Moode, Rune, Volumio etc) along the way, but have settled on PiCorePlayer. I now have the following:

RPi2, Allo Boss DAC, TPA3250 amp feeding a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i speakers. This system is my 'main' one, built into an old Cossor radio case (shown below running Rune) with Bluetooth and Aux input.

RPi3, Allo Kali, Mamboberry LS DAC, TPA3251 amp feeding a pair of Q Acoustics 3020 speakers

RPi3, Allo Piano 2.1 DAC, Allo Volt amp feeding the Mission 760s, augmented by a modded Tannoy sub woofer, fitted with a mono TDA7498 amp

RPi Zero W, IQAudio DAC driving a pair of Superlux HD681 Evo headphones.

I have another Zero W and an original RPi that I use to tinker with.

The music source for all of the above is an Allo Sparky SBC, running LMS on Dietpi

Some of the above have been influenced by posts on AOS, as is my choice of speaker cable (Fisual Hollywood Dark twist). I now make up my own speaker cables, interconnects and power supplies.

I'm rather enjoying myself, the music I listen to sounds good to my aged ears - what more can I ask?
    Last edited by Yatsushiro; 28-06-2017 at 10:33.

+ Reply to Thread