+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Audio Designs WAD WD25T XL speakers

I'm Robert.

I'm Edward.

Robert

Are these still FS?

If so please could you let me know what the dimensions are (h,w,d). Also could you let me know what type of amps you have used with these and the results. I'm trying to get an impression if they will work for me to justify hauling myself over to Gloucester.

Cheers
    Edward
    Last edited by Edward; 10-07-2017 at 22:44. Reason: typo
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Robert

Are these still FS?

If so please could you let me know what the dimensions are (h,w,d). Also could you let me know what type of amps you have used with these and the results. I'm trying to get an impression if they will work for me to justify hauling myself over to Gloucester.

Cheers
    Edward
    Edward, I also own a set of these speakers so to answer your questions:

Dimensions approx. 29w x 25d x 100h (cm)

I built mine first as stand mounts and then into floor standing as these and have owned mine for over 10 years so obviously I like them.

These speakers were designed by Peter Comeau when he owned World Designs and now at IAS in China. I would describe them as Heybrook 2's (which he was also responsible for) on steroids. They are a sealed box but use an aperiodic design so in essence the speakers are in a box at the top which 'leaks' into the main cabinet via a sponge filter.

They like being placed right up against a wall and mine are also tight in the room corners. They have an old fashioned warm sound - by which I mean there is no tuned bass and high frequency peaks as in modern speakers. Some say they are bass light but I disagree and describe them as neutral and very easy to listen to for long periods.

Mine currently are driven by a modern Quad II Classic integrated amplifier (KT66 valves) and provide the sound I like with no boominess.

Prior to the Quad I used 2 Meridian (dual mono) amps and bi-wired so in effect each drive unit had its own amp. Again the sound was very neutral and easy to listen to.

I would not consider them good for modern dance so forget Daft Punk and stick with Benny Goodman :-) I do listen to lots of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc so they are fine with the older rock produced from instrument rather than synths. They also are great with Classical, vocal and jazz.

Hope that helps

Mel

I'm Geoff.

The design was evolved from the Dynaco A35.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Edward.

Mel

Many thanks indeed - very helpful.

Sounds like lovely speakers. Yep I read a long article written by Peter Comeau. Sounds like Robert, who is selling his, has enhanced his pair.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Robert

Are these still FS?

Cheers
    Edward
    Hi Edward

Yes these are still for sale.

I am the 2nd owner having bought them off someone who worked for Peter Comeau.

Exact dimensions of this pair excluding the plinths is:
    967mm (h) X 285mm (w) X 250mm (d)
    Adding the solid oak plinths/base the height goes up to 1027mm
    Plinth/base dimensions are 335mm (w) X 310mm (d)

They have been on the end of:
    18w single ended Almarro
    60w PP valve amp
    Topping TP60
    Nord One UP mono blocks

All sounded excellent. I can echo the prior comments of Cycleallday except that with the improved crossover components there is more clarity and a wider soundstage.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Door View Post
    Hi Edward

Yes these are still for sale.

<snip>
    Thanks Robert, much appreciated. I need to consider fully. Let's chat via PM?

Edward

I'm Edward.

Hi Robert

Nice chatting with you just now. Good to hear we come from the same city and country - ah lots of memories there!

Sadly, as we discussed, the WAD speakers will not work for me due to the footprint of the plinths and the size of my room. I recently sold some Celestions precisely due to footprint issues, my partner would murder me if I simply replace them with another similar set.

Judging from what you said about the speakers whoever buys them will be one very lucky person.

Edward

I'm Robert.

IMG_3602.jpgIMG_3603.jpgIMG_2415.jpgIMG_3605.jpg

Thanks Edward

I've had some interest on these and some questions.

I'm the 2nd owner and when I picked them up about a year ago I did not quiz the owner on the marks on the bass/mid drivers. One looks to be age related around the dust cap and the other looks like something brushed against the cone creating what looks like a smudge. This was there when I picked them up and I knew of it from the advertised photos. It did not bother me as it does not detract from the sound - I just can't relay the story of events. I have tried to take better pics of the drivers.

Also above is what the cross-overs looked like before and after the upgrades.

I'm Robert.

Offers?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast