+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Yet again, another Squeezbox related question!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by skimminstones View Post
    been using the same NAS with a 1TB drive for a couple of years and had zero issues.
    I have a couple of friends who also use the same device, running server, and controlling Squeezebox Touch players, again with tremendous reliability.

The NAS does have its limitations. It is a lowly device, with limited processing ability.
    It doesn't have the processing grunt to transcode on the fly, and it's the same with resampling on the fly - it doesn't do it.

Looking at supported file types, and it doesn't do Apple Lossless (ALAC), Monkey's Audio (APE), Musepack or Wavpack, so if you have loads of these file types this device is one to avoid.
    It does do FLAC, WAV, MP3, MPEG-4, AAC, AIFF, Ogg Vorbis, MPEG-4 SLS / HD-AAC, and the WMA formats.

There's also the benefit of continued development by the wider Squeezebox coding community - these guys are the unsung heroes of the Squeezebox world, who continually strive to keep up with service changes that content providers sometimes throw into the mix.
    The BBC are possibly the worst offenders in this regard.
    Their streaming content rationalisation program has stopped many device makers in their tracks, with hardware becoming obsolete and unusable overnight.
    The BBC iPlayer plugin has been modified a multitude of times, and the code writers keep coming up trumps time and again. I raise a glass to these guys
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Unfair!...Grant's all in one pi solution was a great suggestion...that was option 2 if I recall...
    I meant from the perspective of because it's not NAS it won't do what I want it to.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Gary.

Craig mate,

With respect maybe best just to copy what someone else has successfully set up?
    Lots of helpful suggestions in this thread buddy.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

Craig mate,

With respect maybe best just to copy what someone else has successfully set up?
    Lots of helpful suggestions in this thread buddy.
    I'm drawing an analogy of this with my days of teaching karate.

I would show a technique that as a black belt, I found ultra easy, but to the lesser experienced karate-ka, it was very hard to comprehend.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I've no experience of Western Digital's 'my cloud' NAS, but it gets a right slating in the amazon review section...

I'd recommend QNAP from personal experience, however they are no longer 'packaging' the latest LMS releases, hence me using a pi for LMS 7.9.

I think if I were starting out again I'd look to a Synology, there are a lot of LMS users and there's a forum on the subject...

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewf...0f03a57a41349f
    I've used a Synology NAS for years and had zero problems with it. Regular updates are carried out automatically and I'm now going to get a second 4 bay version to store movies on.
    Bernie.

I'm Paul.

Buy i5 laptop off eBay
    Download and install Logitech media server
    Plug hdd full of music into laptop
    Tell LMS to look at the drive
    Tell SBT to use library on laptop

If you have the SBT manual it will walk you through it
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

Quote Originally Posted by pgarrish View Post
    If you have the SBT manual it will walk you through it
    Which manual is this?
    Both of the ones I bought new (ie in factory sealed packaging) came with none.
    My SB3, on the other hand, came with a bewildering and insomnia curing tome, which attempted to impart some knowledge of computer networking .....
    Chris

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Which manual is this?
    Both of the ones I bought new (ie in factory sealed packaging) came with none.
    My SB3, on the other hand, came with a bewildering and insomnia curing tome, which attempted to impart some knowledge of computer networking .....
    Might have been a QuickStart guide. It was very straight forward
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

Quote Originally Posted by pgarrish View Post
    Might have been a QuickStart guide. It was very straight forward
    I admit that I never looked for any guidance, because I eventually got the gist of what was mentioned in the
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    bewildering and insomnia curing tome, which attempted to impart some knowledge of computer networking .....
    , and it has put me in good stead ever since.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234