Thread: SME V

I'm Sandro.

Default SME V

I purchased a SME V from Hifix at the beginning of March
    Paid for next day delivery
    But when the arm did not turn up was told of a delay of 12 weeks
    2 weeks ago told maybe end of next week
    last week was told of further delay but no definite date
    I should get the arm at the older price so can not cancel the order and pay £1000 more

Any one whit the same problem ?

Did you get a SME V delivered recently ?
    That is my arm and I want it ! Joke

Any help in this regard would be appreciated (building up a case for trading standards and web advertising standards)

Finally is there anything better than the V for a comparable price ?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    I purchased a SME V from Hifix at the beginning of March
    Paid for next day delivery
    But when the arm did not turn up was told of a delay of 12 weeks
    2 weeks ago told maybe end of next week
    last week was told of further delay but no definite date
    I should get the arm at the older price so can not cancel the order and pay £1000 more

Any one whit the same problem ?

Did you get a SME V delivered recently ?
    That is my arm and I want it ! Joke

Any help in this regard would be appreciated (building up a case for trading standards and web advertising standards)

Finally is there anything better than the V for a comparable price ?
    Hate to say it but its very common for retailers, particularly many audio dealers to sell what they don't have in stock. They order it, but after that they and the buyer are at the mercy of the source having it. Frankly I think it disingenuous to state something is in stock and it isn't.

There are plenty of V haters on here. Maybe that's a tad strong but they don't rate the arm, preferring other tonearms often cheaper. I own a V but I bought it off the used market. I think the arm was very good value once, but at its newer elevated price frankly its now so close in price to say a used Graham Phantom price that I would buy one of those instead. It can be got with an SME cut out, but keep in mind (something I forgot recently) that the whole arm moves to align it, whereas with the SME 5 the mounting base stays put and the rest of it moves to align overhang.

In saying that setting an SME 5 up is pretty easy, the instructions being easily the best out there.

What I wouldn't do is get the arm cable, frankly its veiled, closed in and can be bettered. I use a Graham IC70 cable and it pisses all over the VDH SME arm cable.

I think if the seller can't supply they have broken their contract with you. If they stated it was in stock and wasn't. Legally you can terminate the sale and request a refund. If you used a credit card to pay you have added protection. I wish you luck.

What turntable was it going to go on ?
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

There you go Graham Phantom B44 with SME mount £2490 armcable has XLRs but you can buy XLR to RCA adaptors

http://www.choicehifi.com/product/gr...g-phantom-b44/

There is also a Triplanar mk6 http://www.choicehifi.com/product/tr...-mkvi-tonearm/ for £2000

And they have an SME 5 for sale too - http://www.choicehifi.com/product/sm...es-v-tone-arm/ at £2990

Frankly the Phantom is the best option there I think.

I have dealt with Choice HiFi and I didn't have a problem.
    Regards Neil

I'm Sandro.

It is going to fit on the Avid Volvere SP

Had a SME 10 but SME sell the PSU whit speed adjust for (now) £1500 and pissed me off that they did not wish to tell how to adjust speed on the old supply
    There are 2 small variable capacitors marked 33 and 45 on the old PCB ...
    So I sold the 10 for £100 more that bought

I got the arm at the old price £2500 or there about It was at end of February but not sure of it till I got it in my hands (may need to get more advice from trade standards but not jet)
    So to cancel the order would be silly
    Yes I know the arm cable will be changed I have used Teflon insulated pure silver cables from ADVENT (gogolit up ) and it was night to day change on the old arm
    My cart is Goldring elite

Tanks about the mention to the other arms I have heard a lot of good things about the Phantom
    May wait till I get the SME at the old price sell it at the now price and go that way maybe for £2990
    SME had a reputation to be the best in the world but now that they changed owners and possibly change building facility and increased the price by £1K I wonder how long that would last next thing in line most probably will be skimp in build quality

I'm John.

If you've paid for next day delivery and the arm hasn't been delivered, for whatever reason, then you should ask for a full refund. If they didn't have it in stock, which is doubtful for a high ticket price item, then they should not be advertising it as such. Good luck.

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    If you've paid for next day delivery and the arm hasn't been delivered, for whatever reason, then you should ask for a full refund. If they didn't have it in stock, which is doubtful for a high ticket price item, then they should not be advertising it as such. Good luck.
    Just to be clear

Yes I can ask for my money back but I will get what I paid around £2500 arm now cost £3500 (or £2990 for second hand one)
    I have to wait till they tell me to give them £1000 more and then go to trade standard or more likely as they are a reputable seller whit pride and reputation to defend I may get it for what I have already paid

I'm Paul.

In that case, the question you need to answer is how long am I prepared to wait for something that may or may not arrive?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    It is going to fit on the Avid Volvere SP

Had a SME 10 but SME sell the PSU whit speed adjust for (now) £1500 and pissed me off that they did not wish to tell how to adjust speed on the old supply
    There are 2 small variable capacitors marked 33 and 45 on the old PCB ...
    So I sold the 10 for £100 more that bought

I got the arm at the old price £2500 or there about It was at end of February but not sure of it till I got it in my hands (may need to get more advice from trade standards but not jet)
    So to cancel the order would be silly
    Yes I know the arm cable will be changed I have used Teflon insulated pure silver cables from ADVENT (gogolit up ) and it was night to day change on the old arm
    My cart is Goldring elite

Tanks about the mention to the other arms I have heard a lot of good things about the Phantom
    May wait till I get the SME at the old price sell it at the now price and go that way maybe for £2990
    SME had a reputation to be the best in the world but now that they changed owners and possibly change building facility and increased the price by £1K I wonder how long that would last next thing in line most probably will be skimp in build quality
    Phantom would be good on an Avid.

Hope you get it all resolved.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    In that case, the question you need to answer is how long am I prepared to wait for something that may or may not arrive?
    And even brand new in a box I doubt you will be able to make a profit on the arm - audiophiles can be a pretty frugal bunch wanting a bargain. Customers for expensive arms while not rare, well you may have to wait awhile.
    Regards Neil

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    That is a very good question
    No much point fitting new arm if I get it to still packed turntable when I will be moving in 2 / 3 weeks and new R3 Paradise is ready.
    after that I don't know...
    Called nearest SME distributors confirmed that new order for SME V would be delivered by September

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast