+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 401 now completed! ... and most of the bits for it off the forum :)

montesquieu Guest

Default Garrard 401 now completed! ... and most of the bits for it off the forum :)

Got a Garrard 401 motor unit from Ali Tait a few weeks back .. finally as of today it's now in its plinth

Arm is an AT-1010 sourced from Jerry (originally from phonomac I believe), with an AT-7V cartridge (superb low compliance MM) from mad-moon. Fitted in the original heavy AT headshell this is an utterly perfect match for this arm - synergy indeed. Tonearm cable is one I had kicking around from Audio Origami. The plinth came from Austria/eBay, very modestly priced for the quality.

Motor unit needs a bit of TLC, it lost some bearing oil on the way down from the Auld Country, I've topped it up but will give it all a good clean out when a new gasket arrives in a day or so - I think it needs a good bit of running, the wheel is a bit noisy/uneven but I suspect that will settle down with a bit of play as the rubber seems OK (not hardened or anything) - maybe just needs to spin for a while after a period of not being used.

The sound has been getting better and better even in the couple of hours of play that it's had - reminds me of everything I like about Garrards, full in the bass, very musical, enjoyable. The big surprise has been the arm. It never seemed that happy on the Technics it arrived on but it's just right here, it's a really lovely, high quality thing, beautifully made and engineered. A real sleeper I think - at 16g mass it must have been a bit of an anomaly in its era, coming out just as super-lightweight arms and high compliance cartridges were all the rage, it must have been hard at the time to partner it optimally as all the big name 'favourites' were high compliance, this needs something in the medium-low compliance area.

Garrard bolts came from eBay, and from the local hardware store a hole cutter to do the armboard, and a tubular spanner to do up the nuts ... I don't know if this minimal bit of effort really qualifies it as a DIY project as all I've done is assemble it, wire it up, and set it up. Nice bit of fun though and an interesting contrast to the TD124 MkII.

Last edited by montesquieu; 30-06-2017 at 13:19.

Bigman80 Guest

That look the business, mate. Im really taken with that. Well done!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice Tom, glad it's doing the business.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

montesquieu Guest

Spoke too soon. Left it running when I went out to the supermarket. Not running when I got back Now to diagnose .... didn't seem to have overheated .... wiring looks ok ... bit puzzled actually.

I'm sorted.

Check the speed adjustment magnet isn't fouling the flywheel, that's what happened with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Check the speed adjustment magnet isn't fouling the flywheel, that's what happened with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unfortuantely no .... seems free enough.. also just been through all the wiring but all seems fine. Nothing burnt either that I can see. It's a mystery!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Unfortuantely no .... seems free enough.. also just been through all the wiring but all seems fine. Nothing burnt either that I can see. It's a mystery!
    Fuse? I spent hours testing mine ages ago and it was the fuse lol

montesquieu Guest

I tried a different mains cable already ... is there an onboard fuse somewhere?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Fuse? I spent hours testing mine ages ago and it was the fuse lol

Genius - yes it was a fuse - there was one fitted in the plinth IEC socket. Huge thanks.

Why it blew I don't know but at least I can watch out for any issues now.

Cheers Oliver!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Good to hear Tom, would have been surprised if there was a problem with the unit, it's never given me any problems.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast