+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your tt punch above its weight.

I'm paul.

Default Does your tt punch above its weight.

Dangerous I know, but I got to thinking about totting up how much I've spent on my turntable. Denon DP80 in a ply plinth with rosewood veneer, stands on a 25mm thick polished aluminum sub plinth with the arm pod fixed to the sub plinth. Arm is a Stax UA-70 12" arm with Shure Ultra 500 cart in a Martin Bastin body.
    Oh and let's not forget the copper mat.
    All in around 2 grand. So I looked on eBay at turntables and chose highest price first and worked my way down to 2k and beyond. First up SME 30 I think with a decent SME arm ( if you like those clinical arms and tt's ) £18000. To be honest I didn't see anything I would swap mine for and that's the absolute truth.
    I haven't come to any conclusions yet but am interested in what others think about what they spent and if they think its been money well spent or could you have achieved the same sound quality for less.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Grant.

my td160 cost over a grand which was a lot for me. it was a project i wanted to do at time so no regrets. it was a very good deck
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

My only HiFi regret was not being able to get the money to buy that Grant. Ot haunts me to the point of considering doing one for the spare arm I now have.

My TT I s Toshiba SR-370 (Free) arm is Mission 774 (£275) with a ZYXBloom (£250) really really good for the price
    Last edited by Bigman80; 25-06-2017 at 09:46.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    My only HiFi regret was not being able to get the money to buy that Grant. Ot haunts me to the point of considering doing one for the spare arm I now have.

My TT I s Toshiba SR-370 (Free) arm is Alphason HR100 MCS (£600) with a ZYXBloom (£250) really really good for the price

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    did you just get the arm and not tried it yet Oliver?
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Bigman80 Guest

Yes mate, I meant to say I had a mission 774! I got distracted doh!

Alphasons on the mind!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

My TT I s Toshiba SR-370 (Free) arm is Alphason HR100 MCS (£600) with a ZYXBloom (£250) really really good for the price

Think u landed on ur feet with the tosh
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

danilo Guest

Sigh.. I was.. given.. an unwanted Tosh 1200 TT a couple years ago.
    Fooled with it a bit. Frankly underwhelmed by it's performance. So I took it to bits
    My discoveries: Platter was cheaply made (crap imo) Motor? Nothing to brag about.. and the Arm?
    Geez that contraption weighs close to 2 lbs!
    Yess..I still have all the bits . Albeit in a Box, simply because I have a predeliction to Hoarding
    But I remain unimpressed by the thing.
    NO idea why some revere these TT's.
    Absolutely no evidence of goodness in the design /various bits.
    Clearly, we ALL have differing goalposts.

I'm Russell.

My latest 'table is my VPI Scout. I bought it used with the acrylic platter. Considering I paid some $1100 used, and bought a brand new, well never opened, Sumiko Evo III second hand for $300, I feel like it's really performing well for whet I've got invested. There are a few upgrades made for it, but I don't really feel compelled to buy any of them. And I've shopped, and it seems like it would cost me a major chunk of change to reach a level higher than where I'm at. I've seen a few others who've spent similar amounts and I am not in the least jealous. I feel like it would take twice to three times to really reach the next plateau? Or maybe I'm missing something? I can't wait to get a $2k cartridge on it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

Default Does your tt punch above its weight?

Well, mine weighs 65Kg, so the answer is probably 'no'

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Well, mine weighs 65Kg, so the answer is probably 'no'
    That's great Peter, it might discourage burglars from lifting it. Mine is quite heavy but not 65kg.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast