+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A question about selling hi-ish end kit.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post

With the risk of appearing vulturish
    Not at all vulturish @Edwardlon.

We want to sell the stuff as it's of no interest/use to my mum or me, but I've no expertise in hifi, so looking for comments / suggestions / interest from the more knowledgeable here - its why I joined up originally.

Unfortunately, some of it seems pretty esoteric stuff though and it doesn't appear on evilBay too often to give me a price guide. I don't want to give it away, but don't want to be completely daft on pricing either! In the world I know (guitars), s/h prices can be anything from 25%-125% of RRP depending on the brandname (fashion), availability (fashion) and fashion.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony01 View Post
    Unfortunately, some of it seems pretty esoteric stuff though and it doesn't appear on evilBay too often to give me a price guide. I don't want to give it away, but don't want to be completely daft on pricing either! In the world I know (guitars), s/h prices can be anything from 25%-125% of RRP depending on the brandname (fashion), availability (fashion) and fashion.
    One reference point for prices I use is HiFi Shark. This often gives a good idea of what items are going for (or have gone for - look under sold/expired listings).

I'm probably not doing myself a favour here as you may come up with a price for the block and cables way beyond what my wife would find acceptable.

E
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Tony.

Thanks @Edwardlon, that looks like a useful link.

If it's any consolation, I think he spent way beyond what his wife would have found acceptable if she'd ever found out

And that's one of the reasons that I'm staying well away from the hifi hobby (obsession) and just sticking with kit that sounds good enough.

Although, if I just upgraded the .....

I'm Clive.

That's an interesting perspective. Makes sense too, if only as a fall back option.

I guess the values are c£800 for the deck alone, £600 for the arm and £400 for the cartridge? Is that in the ballpark?
    The decks can vary widely depending on build and age. I think the power switch has a green and red led so not sure if this deck has a separate power supply or just plugs into the mains which would make a difference. Ittok arms usually go for between £500 and £600 on ebay but the condition is a factor.

If you try to sell the cartridge separately then be aware the normal advice for Ittok's is to take the arm off the deck before removing the cartridge.

I'm Andrew.

100% agree with that , selling on fleabay is not an experience I'd recommend to anyone.

I'm Stephen.

The person who'd know that isn't talking anymore ...

And ditto.

I'm just going to have to assume that the turntable is standard, and if there are any hidden extras in it, then it'll be lucky for the buyer!

Thanks @SLS for the comments too. I did wonder about keeping the Quad 909 too - but thought it might be a little out of place next to my slightly more modern Marantz PM6005. And £500 would probably keep my old mum in teabags for the best part of a month!
    I've recently sold quite a lot of hifi equipment through my dealer, Moorgate Acoustics. He managed to sell a Linn Sondek with Naim Aro and Troika cartridge for far more than I paid for them in the early 1990s. I also sold Naim SBLs and active Naim 250s with Naxo and a '72 pre. He estimated £4,500, but achieved over £6,000. Worth giving Paul Hobson a call. He will be honest and won't rip you off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Phil.

yes , he is a great dealer and very well known. on my last visit to that lovely city of sheffield i popped in and heard a few things , namely dynaudio c1 and 802d . he was very active for years on the cyrus forum
    Last edited by hifinutt; 04-07-2017 at 01:27. Reason: add details
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Tony.

Quick update, and an opportunity to say "thanks to all" for the various PMs and advice/comments/questions.

I was hoping to get back up to Cheshire (where all the kit is) this week to take better photos, look for serial numbers, take measurements (etc) and then get a few FS threads started for the various bits of kit.
    Unfortunately I've not had the time for the trip and certainly won't have the time next week either, so it'll be a couple of weeks before the FS threads appear. But appear they will (eventually!) here.

I'll probably be selling the TT, arm & cartridge as a complete unit and accept that I'll probably not maximise the value by doing it that way, but - tbh - I'd rather deal with one sale than three and also avoid the risk of damaging any of it if the hammer slips whilst I'm disassembling it.

Thanks again all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123