+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about selling hi-ish end kit.

I'm Tony.

Default A question about selling hi-ish end kit.

My father recently died.

His main interest in recent years was his hifi, and he was constantly tinkering with it and spent a fair bit on it. I've not uncovered any receipts - which were probably burned at the time to stop them falling into my mother's hands! - but I've done some www research and have a very rough idea of what it's worth though it's hard to find precise comparisons.

Question is whether I should sell it here, piece by piece, or take it along to one of the 2nd hand hifi dealers (no, not cash converters) to get rid in one go. Any hints on likely sale prices here, and the discount if I took it as a bundle to a shop, also appreciated.

It's of no real interest to me, nor my mother. My music is consumed from CDs/mp3s and I'm not going to get back into vinyl. Even if I did, the cost of this stuff would be wasted on my ears, and the cash will make a bit of difference to my mother.

Specifically;
    - Linn Sondek LP12
    - Linn Ittok LV II
    - Ortofon Cadenza red
    - ANT Kora 3T phono preamp
    - taga vertexaq distribution block
    - 4x Nordost power cables (approx 36, 38, 90 & 94 cm long)
    - Quad 909

(I probably will keep the speakers and CD player - AE1s and Marantz KI Pearl Lite)

Thanks.

Bigman80 Guest

Sorry for your loss, Tony.

I would avoid dealers and ebay if I were you. Too many fee's and rip off merchants.

There are always other selling site's such​ as Gumtree, Preloved, HiFi for sale.com and of course the best place ive found, right here in the Private Exhibitions area.

You have some very nice pieces there and my personal advice is to split everything and sell it all separately.

Good luck with your sales

Oliver

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I would avoid dealers and ebay if I were you. Too many fee's and rip off merchants.
    I should have said - no way would I go near evilBay!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony01 View Post
    I should have said - no way would I go near evilBay!
    Ha!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony01 View Post
    My father recently died.

His main interest in recent years was his hifi, and he was constantly tinkering with it and spent a fair bit on it. I've not uncovered any receipts - which were probably burned at the time to stop them falling into my mother's hands! - but I've done some www research and have a very rough idea of what it's worth though it's hard to find precise comparisons.

Question is whether I should sell it here, piece by piece, or take it along to one of the 2nd hand hifi dealers (no, not cash converters) to get rid in one go. Any hints on likely sale prices here, and the discount if I took it as a bundle to a shop, also appreciated.

It's of no real interest to me, nor my mother. My music is consumed from CDs/mp3s and I'm not going to get back into vinyl. Even if I did, the cost of this stuff would be wasted on my ears, and the cash will make a bit of difference to my mother.

Specifically;
    - Linn Sondek LP12
    - Linn Ittok LV II
    - Ortofon Cadenza red
    - ANT Kora 3T phono preamp
    - taga vertexaq distribution block
    - 4x Nordost power cables (approx 36, 38, 90 & 94 cm long)
    - Quad 909

(I probably will keep the speakers and CD player - AE1s and Marantz KI Pearl Lite)
    Very sorry to hear, but his last years were no doubt very enjoyable, music-wise.

Good idea to keep the speakers and CD player.
    The Quad 909 is an easy sell - £550, possibly £500 for a quick sale. However, if you have any interest in audio, you might want to keep what is probably one of the best value amplifiers ever made. They should be serviced every 10 years. Call Rob Flain at Quad and he will tell you if and when it was serviced. Costs under £100.
    LP12's seem to be constant sellers. It might be worth calling a reputable dealer (e.g. Cymbiosis) to get a valuation, which I would hope they will give in the circumstances.
    Before selling the cartridge, you may want to get an inspection certificate as to condition from North West Analogue or Expert Stylus.
    You may get a buyer for the distribution block and phono amp here, less likely the cables.
    I sold cables to a dealer - Elite Audio, who are part of retailer Audio Emotion in Scotland - they are really genuine people and will give you a sensible price without trying to rip you off. I would avoid selling to any other dealer.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm Clive.

Check if there is a box for the LP12 which may help with its value. Seek advice before packing/transporting the deck.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm inclined to agree with Oliver.

Selling it as a whole via a dealer would be a lot more straightforward, but you will not get the best price, since the dealer would need to make his profit. Selling it item-by-item will take longer, possibly much longer, will require more effort (such as providing several good, clear, photographs for each item, as well as providing a full description), but will allow you to maximise the value of your late father's system.

As for suggested prices, we would need to know the build level of the Linn LP12 (has it had aftermarket upgrades done on it), whether the Ittok arm is an early or a later version (as revealed by the serial number) and how many hours play the cartridge has done. As for the rest, an idea can be obtained by looking to see how much similar items have fetched on iternet auction sites (as mentined by Oliver), reducing the price by say 25% to make the sale look attractive.

This is not the definitive answer you were probably looking for, but the choice comes down to one of either maximising expediency, or of maximising value.
    Barry

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by cre009 View Post
    Check if there is a box for the LP12 which may help with its value. Seek advice before packing/transporting the deck.
    Yes, box for the Linn in the loft. I'd be very wary about packing/shipping it though!

I'm Mike.

Sorry to hear about your dad

Here should be the best place to sell Tony.

Ebay good for price checks.
    I have been told that an LP12 will fetch more if dismantled and separate parts sold individually
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As for suggested prices, we would need to know the build level of the Linn LP12 (has it had aftermarket upgrades done on it)
    The person who'd know that isn't talking anymore ...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    how many hours play the cartridge has done.
    And ditto.

I'm just going to have to assume that the turntable is standard, and if there are any hidden extras in it, then it'll be lucky for the buyer!

Thanks @SLS for the comments too. I did wonder about keeping the Quad 909 too - but thought it might be a little out of place next to my slightly more modern Marantz PM6005. And £500 would probably keep my old mum in teabags for the best part of a month!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast