+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alphason has landed!

I'm Ian.

That is a really neat job and avoids all the cutting and filling I had visions of. The Alpha looks like it was made for the Toshiba, but then it looks very hansom on Jamie's tt too lol. I'm defo going to have to find an SME 4 or 5 now just to keep up haha.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    That is a really neat job and avoids all the cutting and filling I had visions of. The Alpha looks like it was made for the Toshiba, but then it looks very hansom on Jamie's tt too lol. I'm defo going to have to find an SME 4 or 5 now just to keep up haha.

This was my idea from the start and luckily, Geoff being the engineer he is, already had it in mind too. As usual, without the guys on here it would've been a non starter. It looks superb and I am big enough to admit I underestimated the Alphason. Alan has done a magnificent job of getting the Klotz cable into the arm too.

No need to keep up mate! I'd like to try an SME 309,IV and V. They look very special. My only reservation with SME is I feel they are a bit over-damped.
    I

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigman80; 05-07-2017 at 13:23.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    This was my idea from the start and luckily, Geoff being the engineer he is, already had it in mind too. As usual, without the guys on here it would've been a non starter. It looks superb and I am big enough to admit I underestimated the Alphason. Alan has done a magnificent job of getting the Klotz cable into the arm too.

No need to keep up mate! I'd like to try an SME 309,IV and V. They look very special. My only reservation with SME is I feel they are a bit over-damped.
    I

I know what you mean about the damped sound but since my sausage finger accident, a service and rewire with VDH silver wire by J7 and a spanking new Klotz/MS Audio tonearm cable courtesy of Brian, the 3009 has been transformed.......I think even Jamie quite likes it!
    Last edited by Ian7633; 05-07-2017 at 13:32. Reason: Smelling mistale
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I know what you mean about the damped sound but since my sausage finger accident, a service and rewire with VDH silver wire by J7 and a spanking new Klotz/MS Audio tonearm cable courtesy of Brian, the 3009 has been transformed.......I think even Jamie quite likes it!
    I would imagine the performance will have been lifted quite substantially from stock. If you're happy Ian, don't mess with it lol

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    If you're happy Ian, don't mess with it
    thats not a valid reason not to upgrade

so i take it the alphason is better?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    thats not a valid reason not to upgrade

so i take it the alphason is better?
    I don't know if "Better" is the right word.

There are aspects like space and air which the Alphason is ahead but the bass on the mission is tighter and firm. There's benefits to either. The soundstage seems wider and the music seems to flow naturally with the Alphason. The Mission is so articulate and detailed that sometimes it deconstructs the music. I also noticed the Alphason is a lot less cluttered (?) sounding

It's close between the two. The other problem I have is I'm testing the MK2 FB-OTP at the minute so I haven't got the same phonostage I used with the mission so all of these differences could be down to the much improved phonostage. Luckily, Alan is coming over on Monday with the MK1 OTP so I can do a more accurate comparison.

In a nutshell, I can't be 100% until I get the MK1 back in.

I prefer the look of the Alphason. That's got nothing to do with phonostages lol it's easier to get set up perfectly too. My only complaint is the Allen key tightening on the CW. It's wank and moves every time you try to just set it right. I also have no sibilance at all now which I did have a little with the mission but that again will be my fault because I could never get the cart correctly aligned.

I'm jamie.

you do know that you set the weight at the balance point then turn the black sleeve for setting the tracking weight yes?

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/...s/hr100s.shtml
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

No lol. I'd better read that 😂😂😂😂

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    you do know that you set the weight at the balance point then turn the black sleeve for setting the tracking weight yes?

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/...s/hr100s.shtml
    I'm a proper nobber some days 😂😂😂

Last edited by Bigman80; 05-07-2017 at 16:34.

I'm jamie.

i think you'll find it a lot easier now
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast