+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TD 125 not in great shape

I'm shahrin.

Gents, i think my 125 is the earlier mkI ( it just says 125).
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what Thorens did that was different on the mkII ?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm stuart.

There aren't huge differences between the mk1 and mk2. They changed the electronics, the bearing and the motor. You can't run a mk1 motor with mk2 electronics or a mk2 motor with mk1 electronics (the mk1 motor doesn't have a clutch). I don't believe any of the changes make any difference to the sound. There are plenty of discussions on the web if you google.

I'm Andrew.

This smells like an excellent refurb and tweaking project.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ralph.

That's the rare long base version you have there and deserves to be rescued. I'm quite envious as my own TD125/3012 is just the standard 125 with pear shaped arm board to allow fitting of the longer arm. There is a chap that converts short base 125s to long base and new plinths were available last time I visited his site. I doubt they'll be cheap though. I'll try and find a link to the site in the morning. Will the old plinth be repairable once infested with termites? They're not a complicated plinth so maybe a local cabinet maker could build you a new one.
    Last edited by CornishPasty; 25-06-2017 at 02:07.
    Ralph.

I'm stuart.

all the differences between standard and long base are cosmetic, all the electronics and mechanics are the same

I'm Ralph.

Aye I'm aware of that but I'd still like to have one.

The guy that does the conversions and rebuilds goes under the name of audio nirvana.
    Ralph.

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    This smells like an excellent refurb and tweaking project.
    It could be Andrew.
    Gents thanks.
    I am meeting someone who made a nice hollow plinth for 124/ Graham 1.5 , to discuss a massier plinth for the 124/3012 but this 125 is exciting and will take precedence.

I will get a plinth made with the same width and depth (as I want to install the cover which is in super condition) but will probably make it a little taller.
    Yes its a simple elegant plinth - MDF with a walnut veneer ( i think) but will get this remade in solid wood.

The termites did a big munch on the back right mount destroying it ( so the chassis sunk here) and had eaten all the way into the MDF just shy of the veneer.
    So there is no point trying to save it.

Stuart i read your inspiring thread on yr 125 II
    I now understand the design of the thing
    I have removed the sprung top plate that carries the armboard.
    Well engineered alright, certainly more complex than the 150/160/LP12

I am a little disappointed that it carries the 3012, an arm I am very familiar with. I have refurbished the one i have on the 124.
    Perhaps i could sell it and get a Jelco 12 '' of look out for a FR64.
    Ideas welcome guys.

Ralph, I ve never seen a SWB with pear shaped armboard to accommodate 12'' arm.
    Would require special plinth I imagine
    I had an L shaped board on 124/3012 but ditched it for the oversized massier Swiss one.

I have someone who can sort out the electronics and the motor. I have not tried to powered up.

Yes this is going to be a bit of fun
    As a teenager i admired it in the HiFi shops in Spore and remember noting ah thats a 125 while ours at home was the 124 !
    Last edited by drSM; 26-06-2017 at 15:31.
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade

I'm Ralph.

I say pear shaped, it looks similar to the 3012 armboard you often see on the 124. My 125 is in one of those big SME plinths.
    Ralph.

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    I say pear shaped, it looks similar to the 3012 armboard you often see on the 124. My 125 is in one of those big SME plinths.
    Ralph I ve seen a pic of the pear shaped armboard to accommodate the 12 '' arm

This is very nice;
    https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=18&t=88641

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    TD125's are fantastic tables, I have a Mk2 and love it. Here's a write up I did a few years ago when I refurbished mine.
    https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/8...5-restoration/
    Stuart i need some tips from you or from anyone else familiar with this tt.
    I have taken the top plate off the chassis.
    How do i get the 3 springs off the top plate?
    I am considering painting it
    Some well finished Al plates are available in a variety of colours on eBay, that simply stick on with double sided tape.
    Did you ever consider dampening the plate ? It has a 'ring' when knocked

Re the chassis - i dont want to damage the rectangular ON/OFF and the speed select switches.
    Do they just lift off?
    Much appreciated
    Ta

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast