+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Naim HDX

Default Naim HDX

Some may be interested in this thread

http://www.hifiwise.co.uk/index.php?...=280&#entry280

Looks to me like the thing is dead in the water on grounds of price/utility and legality.

(IMHO of course)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Marco's future 'no compromise' computer audio set-up

Why in terms of legality, JC? I'm curious; bearing in mind I don't know anything about this product

I would like hear the HDX, purely out of curiosity, to assess its performance in comparison to other more 'affordable' products of its type on the market.

In about 6-8 months time, or so, I will be in the market for some form of 'serious' computer audio set-up, which will involve the use of a hi-end media server connected to my Sony DAC, using (probably) Apple's highest performance laptop available at the time to stream lossless music files through my system, so I would like to hear any appropriate recommendations.

I have no fixed budget in mind at the moment, but I would like something firmly of the 'no compromise' variety both in terms of technology/facilities and, most importantly, performance, particularly in terms of sound quality. It will require to be integrated into my existing system in conjunction with an AV set-up, including screen and projector, so the components recommended will need to play both music and movies to the highest standard possible.

I know you don't like Naim, so I'm not exactly expecting an unbiased response from you as far as the HDX is concerned

So what else would you, or anyone else, recommend given the priorities I have outlined above?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

I am not sure what legal problems they would have, it looks as if they have taken measures to prevent files from remote devices being permanantly copied into the machine, and I don't think there are any more issues format shifting a copy protected CD you own than a red book one you own. The RIAA might want you to believe there is, and they would love to get that into law, but they are not there at the moment.

I'm Nick.

Marco, it doesn't address the AV side I am the last person to have a view on that), but why not just buy yourself a squeezebox, run slimserver on your Mac (as Steve was at Owston), get someone to fit puse transformer to the digital output of the squeezebox and connect it to your DAC. It will sound as good as your DAC will allow it, and we know your DAC sounds very good.

Use EAC (if you can on the MAC) to rip your CD's to FLAC and there is no downside :-). Ok, or Apple lossless, but the F in FLAC means something to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Why in terms of legality, JC? I'm curious; bearing in mind I don't know anything about this product

I would like hear the HDX, purely out of curiosity, to assess its performance in comparison to other more 'affordable' products of its type on the market.

In about 6-8 months time, or so, I will be in the market for some form of 'serious' computer audio set-up, which will involve the use of a hi-end media server connected to my Sony DAC, using (probably) Apple's best laptop available at the time to stream lossless music files through my system, so I would like to hear any appropriate recommendations.

I have no fixed budget in mind at the moment, but I would like something firmly of the 'no compromise' variety both in terms of technology/facilities and, most importantly, performance, particularly in terms of sound quality. It will require to be integrated into my existing system in conjunction with an AV set-up, including screen and projector, so the components recommended will need to play both music and movies to the highest standard possible.

I know you don't like Naim, so I'm not exactly expecting an unbiased response from you as far as the HDX is concerned

So what else would you, or anyone else, recommend given the priorities I have outlined above?

Marco.
    OK.

Your vision of your system in six months time is inaccurate in that you don't need a media server and a laptop, they do the same job. it's one or the other. The stunningly good 17" Macbook pro is under £2k but a £700 MacBook will do the same job and sound the same.

The most superb sound possible is a very undemanding task for a good computer designed in the last 12 months or less. Older ones are not worth bothering with unless you are short of the money.

The secret is using the right components and setting it all up correctly. it's not hard but it is a steep learning curve initially for some.

Marco I think you are not particularly short of "pocket money", and you already have a sony laptop, my advice to you is simple. Don't piss about for 6 months, do it now.

1. order a 24" iMac £1200 + vat = £1389 and dedicate it as a music server.

2. ring up Ash and buy ADM9's and tell him to include the correct optical cable.

That's all you need, everything is included, even the reote control. It will be WONDERFUL.

if after 3 months you don't like it and it you haven't learned how to make it outperform your present system, then the resale value is very high.

Stop arguing just DO IT.

JC
    Last edited by jcbrum; 05-05-2008 at 12:17.

NB I said IMAC

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nick,

Thanks for that. I must go and hear Mo's set-up with his Squeezebox at some point to form an opinion on doing things that way

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

p.s. FWIW IMO etc,

Don't bother with Squeezebox's and similar stuff, you just don't need them, and compared to running without, the sound is worse.

They're for PC's really, although they will work with macs there's just no point.

Apologies to sqb owners, I'm sure you love 'em.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jcbrum View Post
    OK.

Your vision of your system in six months time is inaccurate in that you don't need a media server and a laptop, they do the same job. it's one or the other. The stunningly good 17" Macbook pro is under £2k but a £700 MacBook will do the same job and sound the same.

The most superb sound possible is a very undemanding task for a good computer designed in the last 12 months or less. Older ones are not worth bothering with unless you are short of the money.

The secret is using the right components and setting it all up correctly. it's not hard but it is a steep learning curve initially for some.

Marco I think you are not particularly short of "pocket money", and you already have a sony laptop, my advice to you is simple. Don't piss about for 6 months, do it now.

1. order a 24" iMac £1200 + vat = £1389 and dedicate it as a music server.

2. ring up Ash and buy ADM9's and tell him to include the correct optical cable.

That's all you need, everything is included, even the reote control. It will be WONDERFUL.

if after 3 months you don't like it and it you haven't learned how to make it outperform your present system, then the resale value is very high.

Stop arguing just DO IT.

JC
    marco, jc, ashley,
    here is an idea, since it dosent look like the avi day out is going to happen, why not ask ashley to provide you with a pair of adm9's and recomend a lap top, and let you compare the two systems in the comfort of your own home, and if you dont think that its better than your current system, ashley agree's to take them back with no charge, i think if he is that confident he would do it, i would, and have done, then marco can give his opinion on the whole thing!
    just a thought...
    anthony...

You don't need another laptop you've already got a Sony Vaio.

Just get the iMac and use it as a file server, I'll show you how to configure the Vaio as a remote streaming device controller later but you won't need it initially.

If you need to reduce the budget to a minimum use a MacMini £399 but an iMac has a really superb display for Library Display, and simultaneous music videos. (Beyonce, Christine Aguilera, Madonna, Ken Dodd etc).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast