+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tone arm suggestions?

I'm Ron.

Default Tone arm suggestions?

I know this topic is like asking a car forum for the best oil, but I'm trying to narrow down my choices to 2-3 potential arms. Please let me know your recommendation as well as any expeirnce you've had listening to any of these componets paired with specific arms

Technics 1210 m5g
    -mike new bearing
    -timestep he3
    -Ortofon quintet Black (L-4000 headshell if not integrated)

McIntosh c50 preamp
    Krell 400xi amp
    Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus speakers
    Transparent Audio connects/wires

Listening to: classic/modern rock, 80's pop

Budget: $1000-$2000 USD

Was looking at Origin Live Conqueror mk3c used (around $2k), or the OL Encounter mk3c (~$1500). Of course also considering the SME V (~$1800 used), but open to any and all offers

Bigman80 Guest

OL offer a one month return for ANY reason with full refund. You could try an mew one, return it and look for a cheaper used one.

Also, see this thread

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Tonearm Question
    Last edited by Bigman80; 20-06-2017 at 22:29.

I'm Mike.

Fidelity Research FR64FX does a very good job on my Technics 1210 M2.
    With Mike New Bearing and platter. Ortofon SPU
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Mel.

If you like the Rega arm derivatives then take a look at Audiomods website. Excellent engineering, service and price but most of all they sound excellent. They even do a dedicated Technics version with micrometer VTA.

I have the Classic one fitted to my SL1210 but I like Rega arms although my main system has an SME V.

I'm Kevin.

I am not keen on Rega arms on the SL1200. The cueing lever has awkward access, and is a bit fiddly.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Clive.

I have the Origin Live Encounter MkIII on my SL1210M5G and as I understand it, the only Rega part is the lift/lower device. I have no issues with the cueing lever even with my fairly large hands. A very worthwhile upgrade.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Kevin.

Do you use the Origin Live arm board on the 1210?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Do you use the Origin Live arm board on the 1210?
    Yes
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I am not keen on Rega arms on the SL1200. The cueing lever has awkward access, and is a bit fiddly.
    I found it bloody awkward too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Tried a fair few arms on Technics and I can't say that one is better than the other as much depends on cartridge being used, and the system. Origin Live arms work well, tried a few liked them no issue with lift lower device. Jelco 750 or any of the Ortofon version work well too. Tried Graham 2.2, worked well, but maybe not the best match. Graham Phantom doesn't look like it will fit. SME 5 works well, fiddly to set up as getting the sled adjusting key in place is awkward. Triplanar mk7 currently my tonearm of choice on my Technics 1200.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast