+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 Questions: Phono preamps and an oldish FM Tuner

I'm Richard.

Default 2 Questions: Phono preamps and an oldish FM Tuner

Hi all,
    1.I'm doing an A/B comparison between two Quad amps (the 306 and 99 - both enriched by RedHillAudio - no connection). I can't tell the difference TBH, both of which sound excellent to my 69yr-old ears. However, when I use my turntable and Cambridge phone amp, to my ears the 306 seems better. Why should this be when all other sources (6) sound the same?

2. I tried to sell my 'audiophile' Pioneer FM + AM Tuner on X-Bay recently. It didn't sell as I advertised it as faulty. However, I tried it again in my system and, hey-presto, it works! (I suspect a faulty aerial lead). Now it sounded OK for the first few hours but recently it sounds even better. We are well used to the idea of 'burning-in' for NEW components but can oldish ones be restored by just using them? Is there any scientific explanation?

Thanks,

Richard/Bonky

I'm Geoff.

Some have suggested that the 306 is the best sounding of the Quad amps. I have one in my 'collection' and it certainly sounds very nice.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Have you had it "DADA'd"?

It certainly sounds good but why should it sound better from a phono source (cf the others)?

BW

R
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Some have suggested that the 306 is the best sounding of the Quad amps. I have one in my 'collection' and it certainly sounds very nice.
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

+ Reply to Thread