+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD 160

I'm Tim.

Dan, first clean the pulley, the sub platter and the belt with 50% isopropyl and 50% "unscaled" water even if they look clean. You'll be surprise by the color of your cloth afterward.

Then just buy yourself a new belt. If not for now use, still to trial and sort your belt slippage at 45 rpm issue, then for later. Thakker's belt are good just like the Thorens ones at a fraction of the price.
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm Geoff.

Looks good Dan. Nice sounding TT the TD160. The arm is quite capable of handling a decent cartridge too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    PM incoming...
    Your inbox is full Dan.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    Your inbox is full Dan.
    Cleared Loz...

Thanks...
    Receiver
    1980 Yamaha CR 2020
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Rogers LS7

Secondary
    Sony HCD SD1 Receiver with built in CD Player
    Mordaunt Short MS10
    Sony SA CS1 Subwoofer

I'm Shaun.

A year or so back I replaced the belt on my then TD160 and bought it from Analogue Seduction. Really good place, excellent service.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Many people recommend Thakker belts, but the ones I have used on my TD124 have not lasted long due to premature stretching. Initially they are fine, but a few months later they need to be replaced. Caveat emptor
    Barry

I'm Kai.

I went through a number of cheap aftermarket replacements for the TD-160 and none were of the exact right thickness, which will result in the speed being off. I had a TT that took Thorens belts and it had speed adjustments so I could use those belts in that, but for the Thorens I ended up getting an original and it was spot on and still doing ok few years later. Didn't try the Thakker belt, I've heard mixed things about those. Many people say they are perfect but others have complained of speed being off. Maybe at some point they had a run that was off and they've since corrected it or something. I think the Thorens belt was about 20 euros with shipping from Germany and since it gives years of service, doesn't seem to me worth it to risk it for saving a fiver or something.

I'm Andrew.

I remember having the same problem when I did up a TD150 for a giggle. I bought Thakker, nice enough belt, good quality but didn't cure the timing issue. Bought the Thorens nd my problem was sorted within 30 seconds of fitting. I agree, spend a little extra and buy the original saves a lot of messing around.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dan.

Update guys

Tried the loan belt from Loz and the issue persists I think i need to get it professionally serviced then go from their the selector engages but its not reaching up to 45 I have tried many ways to get it to play taking to platter of an adjusting by hand to 45 but the belt slips back down to 33 after i put it back on tried both new and old belt still the same it will occasionally select but by the time its done it im not in the mood this is a strange one i will get it going eventually.
    Receiver
    1980 Yamaha CR 2020
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Rogers LS7

Secondary
    Sony HCD SD1 Receiver with built in CD Player
    Mordaunt Short MS10
    Sony SA CS1 Subwoofer

I'm Tim.

Update guys

Tried the loan belt from Loz and the issue persists
    Like you I don't get it Dan. I find it strange if still after a dry clean process a brand new belt change it still drops down on the pulley to make it impossible to play at 45 rpm, the issue should reside in some "mechanical" challenge.

I think i need to get it professionally serviced then go from their the selector engages but its not reaching up to 45 I have tried many ways to get it to play taking to platter of an adjusting by hand to 45 but the belt slips back down to 33 after i put it back on tried both new and old belt still the same it will occasionally select but by the time its done it im not in the mood this is a strange one i will get it going eventually.
    Hoping it's not an spindle or bearing out of it's 90° angle set, it could be a simpler re-adjustment of the belt lift up/down "trigger" issue. Have you check that out with the platter upside down on the sub-platter with the motor running to have a good view if the trigger lift the belt high enough switching from 33 to 45 and is able to keep it up there ?

Try that maybe before bringing it for a costly revision.
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast