+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice Coil Repair: A Lost Skill?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Patrick.

Default Voice Coil Repair: A Lost Skill?

Hello all,
    Hoping that everyone's enjoying the sunshine.

I'm a sucker for a tricky project and picking up speakers that have been given up on, but tweeter voice coils are way to fiddly for me. The idea of trying to wind that teeny tiny gauge wire on to the bobbin by hand confounds me, but does no-one offer this service in the UK anymore?

I've spoken to a few companies and they all turned the work down (inc Wembley and DC Boultons). They say that it is too fiddly and not worth their while, but how can this be so? With second examples of classics like the Celestion HF1300 and Coles 4001 fetching from £50 - 100 +, and given that they already have the machine, surely there is a market for this?

Is there anyone on here who has the ability to re-wind HF voice coils? It surely isn't beyond the wit of man to carry out this repair, after all they were originally manufactured by one!

Maybe I just need to concede to the disposable age.

P

I'm Rob.

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Patrick.

Fancy having a go? I certainly wouldn't be able make a 20mm tweeter coil. I wouldn't know how to start.
    P

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sholto76 View Post
    I've spoken to a few companies and they all turned the work down (inc Wembley and DC Boultons). They say that it is too fiddly and not worth their while, but how can this be so?
    They probably know their own market and their own business better than anyone else.

I'm Patrick.

Hmmmm...kind of. He actually said that it was just a bit of a pain because it was fiddly and that sometimes the wire snaps. I understand that, but this repair used to be possible and it appears now that people just don't fancy doing the work.

I blame the government

I'm Alex.

Believe it or not, the tweeters (Audax) in these work pretty well to replace the Coles. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JPW-Mini-M...-/352091557360

The ones in the JPW Gold Monitor also work quite well. These are Peerless (India)

The original DM2's used a Peerless DT10 HFC in place of the Coles. The DT10HFC is not too dissimilar to the tweeter in the Gold Monitor.
    Last edited by spendorman; 20-06-2017 at 17:01.
    Spendorman

I'm Patrick.

Interesting. I have a pair of JPW's Golds gathering dust...first speakers i ever paid for after my mum banned the Ditton 25's after 9 o'clock

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by sholto76 View Post
    Interesting. I have a pair of JPW's Golds gathering dust...first speakers i ever paid for after my mum banned the Ditton 25's after 9 o'clock
    Have a look here, scroll down to last photo:

https://mxlml.home.xs4all.nl/projects.html
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

I'm Patrick.

Thanks Spendor!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast