+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice Coil Repair: A Lost Skill?

I'm Patrick.

Default Voice Coil Repair: A Lost Skill?

Hello all,
    Hoping that everyone's enjoying the sunshine.

I'm a sucker for a tricky project and picking up speakers that have been given up on, but tweeter voice coils are way to fiddly for me. The idea of trying to wind that teeny tiny gauge wire on to the bobbin by hand confounds me, but does no-one offer this service in the UK anymore?

I've spoken to a few companies and they all turned the work down (inc Wembley and DC Boultons). They say that it is too fiddly and not worth their while, but how can this be so? With second examples of classics like the Celestion HF1300 and Coles 4001 fetching from £50 - 100 +, and given that they already have the machine, surely there is a market for this?

Is there anyone on here who has the ability to re-wind HF voice coils? It surely isn't beyond the wit of man to carry out this repair, after all they were originally manufactured by one!

Maybe I just need to concede to the disposable age.

P

I'm Rob.

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sholto76 View Post
    I've spoken to a few companies and they all turned the work down (inc Wembley and DC Boultons). They say that it is too fiddly and not worth their while, but how can this be so?
    They probably know their own market and their own business better than anyone else.

I'm Patrick.

Fancy having a go? I certainly wouldn't be able make a 20mm tweeter coil. I wouldn't know how to start.
    P

I'm Patrick.

Hmmmm...kind of. He actually said that it was just a bit of a pain because it was fiddly and that sometimes the wire snaps. I understand that, but this repair used to be possible and it appears now that people just don't fancy doing the work.

I blame the government

I'm Alex.

I'm Alex.

Believe it or not, the tweeters (Audax) in these work pretty well to replace the Coles. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JPW-Mini-M...-/352091557360

The ones in the JPW Gold Monitor also work quite well. These are Peerless (India)

The original DM2's used a Peerless DT10 HFC in place of the Coles. The DT10HFC is not too dissimilar to the tweeter in the Gold Monitor.
    Last edited by spendorman; 20-06-2017 at 17:01.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Might be worth asking this guy if he can supply for the Coles and HF1300, as to whether they will perform to spec. afterwards, that is another question.
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

It's likely they have found people unwilling to pay a commercially viable rate to have the work carried out...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Adam.

We often used to wind our own voice coils by hand at Goodmans when making prototypes and it was indeed a fiddly, time-consuming process but hugely rewarding. The problem is that you really need the correct materials for formers, plus the correct mandrels to locate them on. Our coil wire came pre-varnished and you doused it with IPA as you wound, then put the whole thing on its mandrel into an oven to bake the varnish hard. The smell was epic when you forgot about it and left it in there too long!

I still wonder what happened to the coil-winding setup when Goodmans closed, as I don't remember seeing it at the stock clearout auction.
    Last edited by Beobloke; 23-06-2017 at 11:51.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast